• Register Today It's free!

Brake problem!

J2772

Reaction score
City, State
Virginia Beach, Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992, Explorer XLT
So on my 1992 explorer I just replaced the front pads and rear brakes because of wear and I replace the front rotors because they were warped. And now the rear wheel cylinder because one was locked up. And the other was on the way. I bled the brakes over and over and still have no pedal. In the last maybe 10% of the pedal I get tension and can lock up all four. But nothing really until then. Any ideas help? Please is drivable but not comfortably.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

have you adjusted the rear brakes? if the shoes are to far from the drums it will feel like that.

OH another thing to check is that you have the shoes on correctly. Shorter shoe goes on the front longer shoe on the rear. The metal part of the shoe will appear the same- the actual brake material will have two different lengths. The self adjusters are also right and left specific if placed or wrong side they will not work..

have you adjusted the rear brakes? if the shoes are to far from the drums it will feel like that.
I hadn't but I did yesterday and it got a little better but still not up to par. I'm going to trying bleeding them one more time today.

OH another thing to check is that you have the shoes on correctly. Shorter shoe goes on the front longer shoe on the rear. The metal part of the shoe will appear the same- the actual brake material will have two different lengths. The self adjusters are also right and left specific if placed or wrong side they will not work..
The self adjusters are working definitely made a big difference once they were adjusted out by driving in reverse and hitting the brakes. But the pedal still has too much give.

while driving have you pumped the brakes to see if the pedal comes up? and if it does come up does it stay up or go down slowly?
Did you open the bleeders before you pressed the pistons in on front calipers to change pads?

to adjust rear brakes I prefer to have both rear wheels of the ground but not necessary, Through the backing plate you can spin the adjuster with brake adjusting tool or in a pinch a medium sized flate blade screw driver will work. while spinning the tire adjust bakes until you just hear the shoes start touching the drum.

If you do not have a Buddy to help, you can gravity bleed the brakes. You do not have to have them under pressure. Start at Passenger rear bleed until fluid comes out clear (do not let master cylinder go dry at any point.) then drivers rear, passenger front then Drivers front last.

or Your master cylinder may be bad, This happens at brake changes from time to time. Contaminates can accumulate in the master cylinder bore and as you pump them to bleed them The rubber O-rig seals get damaged as your Pistons inside the Master cylinder Moves further than usual and gets into the debris. Double check everything else first as that is basically free to do.

Back