Brake/Rotor "Kits" on Amazon - Danger?! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Brake/Rotor "Kits" on Amazon - Danger?!

mckittrick

Reaction score
City, State
DOWNINGTOWN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer XLT
I recently took my 2017 XLT to a new shop, recommended by a lot of friends -- just for LOF and a front brake change. For the first time in my entire life, the shop called and said they needed to keep it overnight for the brakes. They said they put "special" pads on that weren't available until the next day. Disappointed, but I agreed. I got the invoice and found that they turned the rotors while they were on the vehicle, also never saw/heard of that before but fine.

The new pads and turned rotors lasted a whopping 2 months and now they are vibrating so badly that I feel like a wheel is coming off any minute.

Long story short, I'm going to change them myself rather than pay another $700 for "special" crap.

I drive 30-40k per year, mostly highway, and I am a very gentle driver that brakes easily and long in advance.

I see there are a lot of brake pad and rotor kits on Amazon. Are they all crap? What would you suggest to get decent stopping performance and low/no warping out of the rotors?

Thanks all.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This is the amazon kit I recommend for the HD rotors:

Power Stop K6375 Front and Rear Z23 Carbon Fiber Brake Pads with Drilled & Slotted Brake Rotors Kit​

On sale right now.

After 35 years of doing nearly all my own vehicle maintenance, I have learned, cheap parts are cheap for a reason.

Buy the top product line of a brand name part supplier. I just had a genuine Ford hub unit installed and I am changing out the coolant and transmission fluid with genuine Ford products.

Most rotors these days are use once and replace.

After 35 years of doing nearly all my own vehicle maintenance, I have learned, cheap parts are cheap for a reason.

Buy the top product line of a brand name part supplier. I just had a genuine Ford hub unit installed and I am changing out the coolant and transmission fluid with genuine Ford products.

Most rotors these days are use once and replace.
Interesting, I can't say that I disagree - but there are decent aftermarket parts.

Do you think the Power Stop kit referenced above is inferior?

I recently took my 2017 XLT to a new shop, recommended by a lot of friends -- just for LOF and a front brake change. For the first time in my entire life, the shop called and said they needed to keep it overnight for the brakes. They said they put "special" pads on that weren't available until the next day. Disappointed, but I agreed. I got the invoice and found that they turned the rotors while they were on the vehicle, also never saw/heard of that before but fine.

The new pads and turned rotors lasted a whopping 2 months and now they are vibrating so badly that I feel like a wheel is coming off any minute.

Long story short, I'm going to change them myself rather than pay another $700 for "special" crap.

I drive 30-40k per year, mostly highway, and I am a very gentle driver that brakes easily and long in advance.

I see there are a lot of brake pad and rotor kits on Amazon. Are they all crap? What would you suggest to get decent stopping performance and low/no warping out of the rotors?

Thanks all.
Most shop do not turn rotors anymore. They install new rotors. Check the thickness of the rotors. The minimum rotor thickness is mark on the rotor.
Check too see if the calipers are not sticking. The guide pins should have been greased.
1st lift the car and spin the wheels by hand. See if the rotor are rubbing.
Stick with the stock grade rotors. You don't need the upgrade rotors unless your a race car driver.
I buy Alot of my auto parts from Rock auto lately.
In my area the auto parts do not cut rotors anymore. They told me a rotor is cheap money $25 or $30. They would charge that too cut. The rotors come with a one, two and three year warranty.

Power Stop makes good quality products.

I have the powerstop kit with the carbon fiber pads. The braking performance is dramatically improved and zero brake dust

Around two years ago I replaced all the rotors with Brembo parts and Akebono brake pads. I also flushed the brake fluid too. Look at Rock Auto for parts because I find them to deliver the best parts at the best price. I did not choose top of the line sports rotors from Brembo but went with there heavy duty parts. The Brembo rotors with Akebono pads are rock solid and perform very well. Also, there is little to no dust that accumulate on the rims with these pads. The cost of the Brembo heavy duty rotors are quite reasonable from Rock Auto.

they can indeed lathe the rotors while on the vehicle

sounds like they used el cheapo pads and did not properly service the calipers

Better to diy
you can get good parts from amazon, but many of us use rockauto
you can get a 5% discount by using this code when you order
it goes in the "How did you hear about us' spot
Rockauto encourages us to share the discount code
We love Rockauto and they love me!!

I also recommend Akebono brake pads. On our 2013 Explorer I went with Motorcraft Police Interceptor rotors (less than $45), Centric drilled piston calipers and Akebono pads for the PIU, all from Rockauto.

Back