Brake rotor question

Blacksheep Josh

Slinky+Escalator=Fun
Reaction score
City, State
Statesboro, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 Ford Ranger, RIP 93 X
After months of neglect, I'm finally (and financially) ready to fix my front brakes. I'm not sure about the back, but let's do one project at a time.

My first question is about the rotors.

My buddy has an Explorer that's been sitting in his backyard for about a year (wrecked), he said I can salvage anything off of it I want to. I was wondering if it's possible to get the rotors from his and use them. The years and size match up, but the problem is the amount of rust. How much is to much? I've read about people having rust after they get washed, but I didn't know if I could simply take them to be lathed/turned and still work.

Reason I'm wanting to use old/used parts is to keep the cost down, I'm selling my X soon anyways, no sense in wasting a bunch of money right now.

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

As long as they are not worn past the minimum thickness and do not have any deep groves they should be fine. The new pads will make them shine again. If you wash the discs, then they will rust right away, however this is only slighly surface rust, which is quickly removed when the pads make contact with the discs. It should be fun getting them off if it has sat for a year.

It might not be a bad idea to go over them with a bit of emery paper in a circle format. If you look at you rear discs, at least on 2nd gen, they build up a rust layer on the area where the pads do not make contact.

Agreed. If you can get them off, when you bring them to be turned, they can tell you if there's enough life after they machine them. All rotors will rust when they sit, and clean up when you drive (but only where the pads make contact). The longer they sit, the more rust you will get.

Mike

What year X is the parts car? You need to check the rotors to see if they have ABS rings or are for 2wd or 4wd.

if you can't have yours turned than buy new ones.

even if you are selling it tomorrow, brakes are not the place to cheap out.

what happens if the brakes break and the next owners 8 year old daughter is killed?

IMHO...take your new/old rotors to a shop and ask IF they can be turned. They'll tell you after making some measurements.

Don't forget the inner bearing seals, cost $7.68 a piece........I know, cause I just did it.

Aloha, Mark

I also agree with these guys. I gave you advise on how to figure out "if" you could re-use the old rotors, which is what you asked. I didn't answer if you "should" re-use them.

I never, ever, re-use rotors. They are inexpensive enough not to be worth the time and effort to remove them, bring them to be turned, etc. I've gotten older and wiser (lazier?) and prefer to go to the parts store once per project, before I start ripping things apart. :)

Mike

thanks for the advice.

and trust me, if i could afford new, i would in a heartbeat.

and i know mine can't be reused, i had them turned the last go around, and i was told by the technician i wouldn't be able to do it again.

and to those that say they don't cost much, but to me, 7 some odd dollars per seal, then add on the 20/30 dollars per rotor, is more then i make in a week.

i'm in college, between cost of gas and bills, i have NO money in reserve ,maybe enough for a meal, but that's it.

I know what you mean. College life is dollar menu limited. ha ha

I re-used the old seals and haven't had a problem? Why can't you re-use them?

By the way, I did them along wide with my auto teacher who is a certified mechanic and he didn't say anything about it...

yeah, few months ago me and a buddy replaced all my bearings up front, his father said that the seals looked fine, and that they didn't need to be replaced. so maybe it's a wear issue? i know everything was well lubed and taken care of (cept the rotors adn pads).

The seals are easily damaged in removal, further, with inexpensive parts, why take a chance of failure?

Back