Brake rotors. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Brake rotors.

cskinner89

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 Explorer XLT
A 93 XLT 2wd was given to me about 6 months ago and I’ve been attempting to restore ever since. When I got it, it didn’t run but after troubleshooting it to the fuel pump (With much help from you guys) and after replacing the pump, it runs great. Shortly after I got it running all the brake lines rusted through and leaked like crazy. So I replaced all the brake lines, the shoes, and pads. Now I face the dreaded inspection. The drums were ground and the guy said they'd pass no problem, but he couldn’t grind the rotors because the fins were too rusted. My question to you is what’s the minimum thickness of the rotors to pass inspection? I have a caliper so I can measure them but I just don’t know how thick they need to be... I don’t plan on driving this vehicle for a while seeing as I’m only 14 but it may be used for the occasional run down the street. Buying new rotors isn’t an option seeing as I’ve already blown my budget.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

if you brought it in and they said you need new rotors...then you need new ones..unless you bring it to someone that just doesnt care and passes anything, lol. regulations are different depending on where you live....if you tell us where you live, someone in your state can tell you what the thickness needs to be... congrats on being able to do all of this stuff at 14. wish i would have started earlier.

Yeah... thats what i figured... Well im in nova scotia canada if somone else lives here (or in the maritimes). and thanks, I love working on the X every spare second i get im under it or fixing somthing on it.

Rotors and drums will have a minimum thickness stamped /engraved on them. That is what the shop/inspection station will used to determine minimum thickness. I'm not certain if each rotor/drum manufacturer has the same minimum thickness requirement.

Back