Brakes after my SAS | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Brakes after my SAS

For those that have done the SAS, did you remove your ABS module from the engine compartment? My brakes do not feel as strong as the were before the SAS, and lately I have had to pump them to get the brakes working well. And I still have a soft pedal.

Also my other problem is that my rear brakes (drums) lock up when wheeling. But i am thinking of doing a disk conversion on the rear.

I removed the module but Yeah I also got some soft pedals - although it was only noticeable on steep inclines (where it really counts unfortunately). I had no problems locking up the tires going 35 or so MPH on the road (and almost rolled the vehicle). I dunno what caliper you are running in the front but usually the calipers people are swapping in have a bigger volume than the stock ones. So of course one way to counter this is to go with a master cylinder with a bigger bore but the same stroke (so you can use the stock pedals). And one way to match an MC to calipers is to go with the MC from the vehicle from which you got the axles from - the pedal ratio might not be the same but you can drill a new hole on the pedal's arm if the ratio doesnt feel right.

As for the rear, disc conversion should fix it but in the meantime, you can also run a proportioning valve to slightly minimize the brake pressure going to the rear.

Back