No brakes after spindle lift

carlover

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Fontana,CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 XL
Its been a few weeks now since i put my fabtech spindles on and my biggest issues is the loss of the brakes when i lock the wheels or even make a sharp turn. I cant afford new brake lines just yet, and i know there is something i can grind down to stop this from happening. What do i have to grind down is my ?.......

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Wow this is odd -- I'm interested in finding out whats happening.

I'm not sure any grinding will help in this situation ;) .. but how is the brake fluid level? If its going low, that could mean that a line (or two) in the front is getting overstretched during turn and theres a small leak. I guess, with the engine on, have some one turn the wheel to full lock and press the break pedal while you look for any leakage.

If the spindle lift kit came with new calipers or houses, I would make sure those connections are all good -- cauz sometimes you might have to grind down the caliper to ensure the banjo or whatever fitting you use sits flat (dont forget the copper washer!).

Actually from what ive been reading its a very common problem with spindles lifts with a 2wd truck. Ive gotten a few explanations as to why it happens and i know the best solution is new extended brake lines but i cannot find any for explorers.

All brake hardware is functioning properly, no leaks, no air. I know there are some steering stops that you can grind down and it will help with the braking but im not sure where thay are.

I dont quite understand so please enlighten :D Or do you have any links to other threads/websites?

You might have to get custom ones made or go with extended brake lines for say a Jeep or something -- I think I remember reading a few SAS threads where people have used these extended Jeep lines.

yup i am using Rubicon express lines, for a Cherokee

Sounds like that thread pretty much explains everything including what you need to do to resolve the issue :D

Cut the steering stops off the lower control arms, They push into the calipers at full lock causing brake loss. They are little balls on the back side of the control arm.

Cut the steering stops off the lower control arms, They push into the calipers at full lock causing brake loss. They are little balls on the back side of the control arm.

Thanks, thats what i thought those were. I will take those off this weekend. Im still gonna get new brake lines just because i dont like the fact there is no slack at all in them.

Actually from what ive been reading its a very common problem with spindles lifts with a 2wd truck. Ive gotten a few explanations as to why it happens and i know the best solution is new extended brake lines but i cannot find any for explorers.

All brake hardware is functioning properly, no leaks, no air. I know there are some steering stops that you can grind down and it will help with the braking but im not sure where thay are.

i used geo tracker (late 89-91ish) front driverside brake lines (2 of them) and they fit fine and work great. and are like 16" long

I've noticed this happening to me too, ive looked for the little balls on the back of the control arm but i cannot seem to find what youre talking about for the life of me. I looked it up online and some pictures i saw show a small bolt on the caliper itself which i do see on my truck. Could someone please post a picture of the little balls and posisbly circle them? Thanks.

Have you had a chance to take some pics yet?

You can unbolt your stock brake line block on the frame rail and move it down about 2" if that'd help any. Thats what I did for my lift and my stock brake lines are working fine. Just slit some small rubber hose open and slip it over the hard line to proctect it where it touches the upper frame.

Back