brakes | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

brakes

expotrek

Reaction score
okay my brakes suck and i can't figure out why. they clunk when you hit them and they squeek when i release. it sounds like the noise is coming from the front. the right rear brake is my strongest and always locks up despite my rear abs. my abs light and parking brake light are always on and my mechanic can not figure out why. also my pedal is very spongey and i can put it to the floor. my girl friends 99 caviler has very tight brakes and a firm feel would putting s.s. hoses on mine help? rear disc?? what?? can any one help me thanks

- J -

J-It might be the rear ABS modulator. It has solenoids which adjust the rear pressure via rear ABS speed sensor located on the top of the rear differential. I've changed nearly everything in my brake system because I was having the same problem as you except my ABS light wan't on. I even changed the front calipers thinking the composite pistons were binding because when I would bleed the brakes, the fronts seem to have way more pressure than the back. I know the fronts do most of the stopping. Well, after changing the modulator, it improved it alot though when cold its a bit touchy. I still need to replace the speed sensor which should make a big difference. Hope this helps.

Back