• Register Today It's free!

Break light always on

littlebro294

Reaction score
City, State
California
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Ford Explorer
so i have a 1994 ford explorer sport 2wd and i just did the breaks today, figured it could be the reason the break light was on since i talked to a few people and said low break fluid could be the problem. But even though i just did the breaks on it, it still stays on, the fluid is still a little low but not as much as it was before, could i need to do the back breaks too or could it be something else?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Have you checked and perhaps disconnected the brake light switch attached to the brake pedal? I would disconnect the switch and see if the brake lights still stay on. If so, you have a wiring problem, not a brake problem. Both of my Gen1's have a very touchy switch, needing only a slight tap on the pedal to turn on the brake lights.

I mean the light on the guages, the red one to tell you the parking break is on or off, it turns off when you roll in 1st but right before i hit second gear ( 5speed manual) it turns right back on.

Check the fluid level sensor in the brake fluid reservoir. Disconnect it and see if the behavior changes; if so, you may have found the cause. Also check the parking brake position sensor.

Check the fluid level sensor in the brake fluid reservoir. Disconnect it and see if the behavior changes; if so, you may have found the cause. Also check the parking brake position sensor.

Ok thank you, i will check them in the morning when i get the chance, i will keep this thread updated if i figure anything out.

I figured it out, i was very low on break fluid and thats what i figured it was, i filled it up and the light hasnt been on since.

Back