macknos94

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Harrisburg, pa
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 mountaineer premier
idk if anyone is interested but i figured i would throw this up here

i installed a set of 9006 hi beam bulbs in my fogs and it make a world of a different you really dont even need your headlights and they work 10x better in foggy conditions. all you need to do it take a look at the factory bulb and the 9006 its the same plug only different is the watts and there is one mounting tab that needs to be trimmed down. ill get pics up when i get a chance. and if anyone wants to seee specific pics let me know

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

thats slightly dangerous for oncoming drivers, i just assume get SilverStars

id like to see pics, just to get an idea how bright they are.

there pretty low thery might not mess with oncoming drivers but that would be a concern for me.

they are really low so i didnt see any issue. and now one has flashed me yet so i dont think they are any issue. ill get pics up tonight once i get home

what color r the fogs u got

I'm running the 9006 bulbs in my yellow foggies, but only because the bulbs for the clear foggies didn't fit the yellow foggies. It's not just the bulb that determines brightness anyway, it's the reflector, so a 65W High beam bulb in a foggie reflector, will be a bit brighter than the standard 55W bulb, but it will still be aimed low so should be OK.

other thing is the greater heat created by the bigger bulb may not
dissipate in the smaller fog housing resulting in a melted foglight.

IMAGE_055.jpg

IMAGE_054.jpg

IMAGE_056.jpg

IMAGE_057.jpg

IMAGE_058.jpg

IMAGE_059.jpg

the third and forth pics have the headlights on the others only have the fogs on. and i also have a 280sum lbs. system in the truck so my rear sits just about level if not a little lower then the front
idk whats up with these photos i change them on photobucket and they wont stay changed

thinking of doing this. have you had any problems yet?

drove about 3 hours straight with em on today and fog light hasnt melted and wires are just like new. no problems yet also they worked great with the snow we got today 4 inches. ill keep you posted if i run into any problems

I did the same thing on my Sport Trac 6-8 months ago, no problems with wiring or getting flashed. They sure help down low when foggy.

I ran 9005 silver stars(65w) in my fogs since I got the truck. They lasted about 9 months and burned out. When they were on, you could feel the heat coming out of the lights, but i did not experience any melted housing or wires. I just picked up some 9006 Ultras to replace them with. I have been running Ultras in the headlights (9007) an the fogs were much brighter. I never was flashed by other drivers.

I got so used to driving with them on, it was terrible when they burned out.

I ran 9005 silver stars(65w) in my fogs since I got the truck. They lasted about 9 months and burned out. When they were on, you could feel the heat coming out of the lights, but i did not experience any melted housing or wires. I just picked up some 9006 Ultras to replace them with. I have been running Ultras in the headlights (9007) an the fogs were much brighter. I never was flashed by other drivers.

I got so used to driving with them on, it was terrible when they burned out.

How close together did your bulbs burn out?

appears to be the same time. I am not sure. I just bought 2 9006su tonight to replace them with, but was unable to get teh cuts right to get them to fit.

Anyone know what cuts are required on a 9006?

It looks likt the cuts are fine, but the 9006 su i bought are too long. I will be replacing them shortly.

Where did you get those bulbs?

i but in 9006 silverstars they snapped right in after a little modifing

i originally ran 9005s. I was unable to get the 9005 to fit. the marks are just alittle off. I cut quite a bit off and they still did not fit. I took them back and picked up some 9005s again.

I doubt they were too long, but the silver coating on the 9006 SUs was rubbed off as though they hit the edge of the glass. I dont think they were too long and the cuts were right on. When I tried to put them in, they kept rocking as though they were hitting against something.

It was late and i didnt even think to look at the fog light from the outside to see where they were getting caught.

I do love my 9005s in there though.

Just wondering, how did you guys get 9006 bulbs to fit? I've been trying to get mine in there, but it looks like the base (where the oring is) is too big and doesn't fit.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Not trying to be a jerk, but the last post in this thread was almost 5 years ago. The OP hasn't posted anything here since April & I believe he has sold his Mounty so he isn't around much.

Back