brittle and broken plastic connectors | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

brittle and broken plastic connectors

974X4BLACKSPORT

Reaction score
City, State
hudson
Year, Model & Trim Level
BLACK 1997 SPORT 4 BY 4
While removing the front turn signal and headlight housings, the little plastic connector locks that hold the electrical connector securely onto the housing, every lock tab broke off while trying to remove the electrical plug, how are these plugs supposed to stay on now without having to resort to replacing every connector?
All I wanted to do is install new left and right headlamp assemblies and repaint the grill so it does not look like a worn out jalopy anymore!
41351744_1123698901119622_1612121334672785408_o.jpg

41174956_1123698971119615_3219232671599165440_o.jpg

I also found a wire that was chaffed down to the bare wire from rubbing the plastic housing for 21years, good thing it was not against metal!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Plastic doesn't hold up very well over the decades. You truck is going on 22 years old and old plastic gets brittle. It's just the way it is. RockAuto sells replacements for many of the electrical connectors. You might have to spend some money, but it's cheaper than buying a newer truck.

I’ve replaced a good amount of connectors on my 2000. I recommend posi-connectors if you’re going to cut the old connector off and splice in a new one.

Ford connectors can also be depinned and rebuilt. This video is a good guide:

If you just want to replace them cheap, head over to a local junkyard... if it breaks getting it out, keep trying, most JY's have lots of Explorers. It may be old and brittle too but consider that you may only need to get it on this ONE time and the new bulb should last many years, unless you're getting some of those over-driven, super-bright headlight bulbs which don't last nearly as long.

I would try to swap the pins to the new connector shell but if you don't want to do that then I would solder and cover that with glue lined heatshrink tubing rather than using a crimp, on something like this that is exposed to the elements.

Back