Broken 91-94 Door Handle ? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Broken 91-94 Door Handle ?

LStoudenmire

Reaction score
City, State
Charleston, SC
I lifted on my door handle this weekend and something felt like it broke and now it is rather loose. Nothing appears to be broken on exterior, so must be inside. Still functional but I'm being careful when opening to avoid it breaking all the way.
Does anyone know what part may have broken? Not sure what to ask for. And if anyone reads this and has one available to sell, please let me know. Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Same thing happened to me except the door wouldn't open. There is a number of parts inside the door so I can't say for sure which part it is, but mine turned out to be a little yellow and white plastic connector that connects the rod coming from the outside handle to the assembly that opens the latch to open the door. The plastic piece cost me $2.58 from Ford and about 4 hours of cursing working inside the door trying to figure out how it worked. One BIIIIIG hint. Take the window runner off and undo the door door latch from the door. I could replace the same part in about 10 minutes now that I know what I'm doing.

sortsol, That sounds like what my situation may be. Would it be easier to replace the entire door handle assembly?

No. it would be much easier to replace the little plastic piece. If you get inside the door and disconnect the latch and take the window guide off, it is very easy to replace. It took me so long because I couldn't see past the window guide and didn't realize you could take if off in 30 seconds. There is really nothing else inside there that would break, so I am guessing it is the plasic piece that is your problem. The hard part is taking your door apart to get to the latch, but that is really only 5 screws or so, take your window and lock controls off the door, and the black plastic piece by the inside door handle off and than pry the inside of the door off and peal the weather stripping down. From there, you undo one bolt and take the window guide off and undo the four screws to the door latch and replace the plastic piece. It is really not as hard as I'm describing. Just find a writeup on taking the door apart and from there it's easy.

door handle

Mine just broke yesterday. It has the same symptons, functions fine, yet it is much looser than the passenger side handle. I haven't taken the door apart yet to see, but I suspect that small plastic part is it. Does anyone have that part number?

Both my front ones are like this, they work well but flap in the wind .It was suggested to me that a small retainer spring inside had broken and that I might be able to match it from a generic parts bin . I havent tried this yet but its a place for you to look.
Good luck.

door handle

I just took my door apart and found out that it isn't that little plastic piece, but that tiny spring that is located directly in front of the handle itself. You can see where one end is broken. Anyway, I can't get the spring off and I doubt that ford sells that part. I may end up getting a new handle instead. Has anyone replaced a handle before? I looked at the bolts holding it in and I can't figure it out. They are like small x-shaped wingnut type things. Any info will help!!

update

They aren't bolts, they are rivets, and guess what, I don't have a rivit gun, nor have I ever used one before! Does anyone think a small bolt and nut setup will work? A new handle from ford is $40, a little pricey for a broken $0.25 spring.

If you can fit (and get to to tighten) bolts and nuts, go for it. Rivets are just cheaper and easier for factories to install. Although, everyone should have a rivet gun. They are cheap and extremely easy to use. They are one of those tools that once you have, you can come up with a million things to use them for.

Well what happened? Could this be gotten from a salvage yard or would it take to much time to mess with there? Mine was loose but now doesn't work at all.

Still haven't gotten to it yet. As of today it's still a little loose, but hasn't come off.

Anyone have suggestions about the salvage yard idea?

I replaced both of the Door handels on my Navajo and three out of the four on my Explorer are doing this. The New handels come with new rivits. I plan to replace the Handels on my Explorer sooner or later as long as they are working for now I am not messing with it.

I found similar springs at True Value Hardware and bent them to match. Works great! I could'nt find rivets that were big enough so I used bolts. Just check the clearance with the glass, too long and it's gonna scratch it.

Back