• Register Today It's free!

Broken dipstick

PEAR0119

Reaction score
City, State
Ottawa, Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Explorer XLT 4.0 4x4
I have found yet another broken piece in the X, at least this one I can live with for now. Now, since I get free oil changes for 5 years on the X (was a dealer promotion on used cars when I bought it) I take it to the dealer to get the oil changed according to the regular maintenance schedule. Last night when I pulled the dipstick out I was thinking to myself "this is an awful short dipstick" then I looked closely at it and it was broken right at the top full mark. The oil was changed by the dealer about 5 months ago and last night was the first time that I decided to look at the oil.

I know that the dealer broke the dipstick and I know that the other end is stuck in the dipstick tube, and I mean really jammed down there, since I spent 5 minutes trying to get the dipstick back into the tube (it was hitting the broken half). They must of really jammed it in there and tried to force it in and, that's when it broke.

My question is now, how hard is it to pull the dipstick tube from the engine on the 4.0L SOHC? I know there is a bolt that holds it to the head, but the end that goes into the block is there just an o-ring that pulls right out? Or, is it threaded in there? If I can get the tube out of the block I should be able to get the rest of the dipstick out of the tube.

So the dealer wants over $150 for parts and labor to fix this, it kinda made me chuckle a bit. I will buy the parts and do it myself, has anyone pulled the tube before? Is there anything in the way or is it a very simple unbolt, pull out of block, remove broken dipstick?

Back