Broken rear spring: what's the risk of postpoing replacement? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Broken rear spring: what's the risk of postpoing replacement?

myrrh

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 Limited
The right rear spring on my 2002 Limited is broken in three places. The breaks are near the ends and the vehicle does not lean noticeably or handle poorly.

I know from reading this forum that broken coils are a common problem with these models and I do plan on replacing them.

I don't drive it much (filled the fuel tank 8 times in the past year) and it has 55K on it.

? If I don't replace the coils for about three months (no $$$ right now) and if I don't off-road or tow, what kind of consequences might I have if more breaks occur in the meantime?

You will prob be fine but I did just pick up a pair of complete strut/coil replacements from rockauto for an 02 I have for $140 for both, just an idea.

Both my rear springs were broken when I bought my Ex in Feb 2010. I drove it for 9 months. I can't say that you won't have any problems, just that I didn't.

Now I'm running the StrutTEK's on all four corners and have nothing but good things to say about them! The ride is awesome and the price is right.

The rears were installed on 11/29/2010 & the fronts were installed on 2/20/2012.

I love them. The ride is great. I can't compare them to factory since both rear springs were broken and both fronts were leaking when I bought the Ex.

Click here to find out more about the StrutTEK Struts.

Struttek1Custom.jpg

Struttek2Custom.jpg

Good luck and be sure to keep us posted. :biggthump

Don't wait to long it worn out my both upper rear control arm ball joints and both toe links on mine from the broken springs had mine replaced two years ago with quickstruts now I get a loud clunk / tap sound when I hit a bump

Back