Burns

Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Pulaski, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Explorer/2002 F-250
It all started this year when i decided to go ahead and swap in my newer engine. We didn’t think the spark plugs
would be a problem because i pulled the passenger plugs with the engine out of any truck. We thought the drivers
side would be as easy. WRONG. Wow bad decision. The plugs would not move. One started to twist and
the plug was not turning so we stopped. Replaced the passenger side plugs just to finish the engine swap.
(the rest of the engine wiring)

It has been a month or two since the engine swap and i decided it was time to get the plugs out. I have been spraying
them with penetrating oil for the last few weeks. All plugs got the torch treatment after they broke off in the head.

Well They broke. All Three of Them.
The first one broke out and the entire plug came out except the metal surrounding.
Spark-Plug-One.jpg

The last two broke out with part of the plug in the engine. So the engine had to be turned over to blow
the plug that was left out to allow the easy out to be inserted into the remainder of the plug.
Spark-Plug-Four.jpg

The last one you see was broken up into many pieces.
Spark-Plug-Two.jpg

This is what the head looked with the broken plug in it. Not the best pic but all three broke off smooth.
With out the easy out it would have been head removeal time.
Spark-Plug-Three.jpg

We did all three on the drivers side in about two hours. Good Luck to the rest of you.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Good job on getting those out:thumbsup: Gotta picture of the easy out you used??

Ill run and get one. It may not be a real easy out but thats what i am calling it. Ill add that to the thread in just a few.

Here is the easy out. Its not the best pic. Its a 3/8's

Attachments

• Easy-Out.jpg
    Easy-Out.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 1,814

Burns
I broke 6 out of my 8 plugs when I changed them. Sucks doesnt it. I used a screw extractor to get them out. Later on when I needed to do an engine swap, I bought 8 new plugs and gave them to my mechanic. I told him to swap out the plugs before he put the "new to me" engine in. He later thanked me.
Funny subject. When I broke my first plug. I Googled "ford explorer broken spark plug" and it brought me here. The rest is history.
Thats how I found the forum.

Cool thanks, I'm changing plugs again next weekend and the last time I did them, I forgot to put anti-seize on them.... So this might be a lifesaver :D

Well We knew they were going to break. The engine came from a northern truck with lots of rust on the frame. The plugs were pretty much rusted all the way down.

Thats what I used. I thought it was called a screw extractor. I thought an ez-out was threaded. I could be wrong. I had to beat the crap out of that thing to get it to bite. You?

We got it in with a hammer after heating twice. We heated once to a glow red then let it cool. Then heated again and put it in and gave it a slight tap with the hammer to ensure it was in good. Then used a socket my dad had to get it to work easily.

Cool thanks, I'm changing plugs again next weekend and the last time I did them, I forgot to put anti-seize on them.... So this might be a lifesaver :D

I didnt put anti-seize on mine and I am glad I didnt. The plugs seem to rattle themselves loose as it is. I think that might be a 5.0 thing.

I put it on them this time. Ill watch them to see what happens to them.

Thank you Mr. Burns :p: 3/8ths it is then.:salute:

We got it in with a hammer after heating twice. We heated once to a glow red then let it cool. Then heated again and put it in and gave it a slight tap with the hammer to ensure it was in good. Then used a socket my dad had to get it to work easily.

My deal was a complete nightmare, But I am glad it happened, Otherwise I more then likely never would have found this forum.

I dont know how these plugs didnt blow out of the engine becaues i could break the rest of the metal easily. I just dont see how they held the pressure.

My deal was a complete nightmare, But I am glad it happened, Otherwise I more then likely never would have found this forum.

Yeah. I found the site looking for a lift. :thumbsup:

Hehe, I found this forum almost 3 1/2 years ago because of my bad fuel gauge. Turns out I've lifted, repaired and replaced just about everything else but the fuel gauge :confused:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back