• Register Today It's free!

broken tailgate latch, door shut

cerberusaardvark

Reaction score
City, State
San Diego
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Explorer xlt
this is the third time within the past few months ive bought and replaced the rear hatch openeing assembly and had it break after a few turns. this time the tail gat is shut and the handle spins freely without engaging the lever to open the gate. how do i get at the mechanism with the door shut?

I suppose your going to have to cut into the inside panel since you can't pull it off the panel with the door stuck shut. You could replace the panel later from the junk yard.

I was just outside looking at my rear hatch panel. You might be able to get that panel off without the door open. If you remove the 4 screws located along top you might just be able to slip it off with some flexing.

On my '94 sport, the hatch panel only has 3 screws: two tiny ones hidden below the inside loop/pull-handle; one screw is hidden under a small insert panel where the lock rod comes out. The four "screws" on the window perimeter are just push-knob things in mine.

The panel looks like it's designed to slide up and out, so if the seal where the door meets the roof allows, you may be able to pull the panel off.

Back