brown wire mod for 3rd gen? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

brown wire mod for 3rd gen?

i just snipped the brown wire and taped it. works like a charm. i just need to go buy a switch and everything now, and the whole mod is done.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i just snipped the brown wire and taped it. works like a charm. i just need to go buy a switch and everything now, and the whole mod is done.

WoW that's great :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

So what's happening when you try to select 4x4 hi, and LOW?
Are you getting any blinking of the 4x4 light?

Have you tried hard acceleration to see if it attempts to engage 4x4, or does the rear wheels spin?
After the hard acceleration and turning any binding?

If its that easy this is great. I would love to get a some kinds of mpg gain out of this.

i can tell the 4x4 isnt engaging when i hit the gas. i havent pushed any buttons, because i dont need to, and the wire is just cut, not completed yet.

but it does seem to stay in 2wd, and i like it.

Do a search for: 4x4 Auto disable? Scroll down till you see a heading that says 3rd Gen BWM in the title. Those are the step by step instructions I used. If you want pics, I will see if I can find them. Some one was going to post them, but I am not sure if they got posted. Good Luck.
Jared G.

Do a search for: 4x4 Auto disable? Scroll down till you see a heading that says 3rd Gen BWM in the title. Those are the step by step instructions I used. If you want pics, I will see if I can find them. Some one was going to post them, but I am not sure if they got posted. Good Luck.
Jared G.

Awesome. Thanks!

yeah the pics would be great.
Here is your post with instructions

Great Job!
:salute: :thumbsup: :salute:

Send me the pics I will post them for you.
you can also upload them to photbucket and then use the image link and they will show up in your post.

I have a 2004 ford explorer and managed to complete the bwm without clipping it at the transmission. This is for 2004-2005 ford explorers after a LOT OF CONFUSION and reading threads I finally found the right brown wire and can now disable 4x4. A lot of posts were saying that there should be two bundles of wires under the passenger side footwell and I have also read posts saying there is only one big bundle my 2004 4.0 only had one big bundle under the footwell it did indeed have a brown wire but after clipping it and putting a switch to it, the switch’s light only Illuminated when the lights were turned on which made me realize I had the wrong brown wire so I reconnected them and did some more research, I do not know how the other posters on this forum got the Bwm to successfully work using that brown wire found in the one big bundle under the passenger side, that brown wire is for a light and does not go to the transmission although if you have two bundles the brown wire we are looking for might be in there. My wire was located in a bundle (under the hood , the top bundle of wires going to the firewall on the passenger side which plug in) I cut the wiring harness and put a switch to the brown wire l now know that it is the correct brown wire because my x will stay in 2x4 and the light does not illuminate when the lights are on, only when the 4x4 is turned on. So I know it is working and I got the right wire. I fed my wires threw the rubber boot with a needle that the two wires are going into the firewall threw, used a fuse on the switch and mounted it next to my radio switch is grounded out to the radio. I believe the point of using a relay is so that the light will be illuminated when the switch is turned on and when the switch is in the off position the 4x4 will function normally, with just a switch and no relay the switch will need to be in the on position for 4x4 to function and the light will illuminate when 4x4 auto engages or when you put your car in 4x4 high. I will be leaving mine without a relay because I like to see when the 4x4 automatically kicks in and I do not believe a relay is necessary for this. I also connected the brown wire with male female terminals so that if I ever need to I can just connect them and put them back into the harness, make sure everything is waterproof just to be safe.

Back