BTF Upper Control Arm Alternate Options? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

BTF Upper Control Arm Alternate Options?

Bohknows17

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer EB
Hi, I'm preparing to install the 3" leveling kit from BTF, however I don't exactly have $575 laying around for the upper control arms. I remember once seeing on someone's registry that they had the same spacers, but had a different brand upper control arms, but can't remember who it was.

Does anyone know of any possible alternate options that would be a high enough grade to use? Somewhere else I seem to recall someone saying that you could probably run stock UCA's with those spacers and if you changed them out once a year you wouldn't have any issues, not sure how that would work.

I found these, any thoughts on if they may be a high enough grade?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The arms you have the link to are the same as what you have. The best thing to do is wait on the lift until you have the cash to do it right and buy the BTF arms. Having your upper BJ break on the road will cost you far more than the $575. Since you are going with the 3" kit this is critical, the factory BJ's are not designed for this.

The arms you have the link to are the same as what you have. The best thing to do is wait on the lift until you have the cash to do it right and buy the BTF arms. Having your upper BJ break on the road will cost you far more than the $575. Since you are going with the 3" kit this is critical, the factory BJ's are not designed for this.

You probably read someone mention MOOG upper control arms but they aren't any different than stock. The BTF UCA's have a uniball that corrects the issue. The stock ball joints will eventually fail, it's only a matter of time. I've seen a few pictures of failed balljoints over the years. It's not worth the danger to your truck, yourself, and others when you can have peace of mind for only $575.

i blew out 2 upper ball joints before getting the UCA's and let me tell you its scary stuff..

i blew out 2 upper ball joints before getting the UCA's and let me tell you its scary stuff..

We're you using limiting straps? We're the blow ours off road on on the street?

no limiting straps and both were on the street, thankfully they were at low speeds, one under 10 mph and the other at 20 mph

Back