BTF Upper Control Arm/ 33" tires | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

BTF Upper Control Arm/ 33" tires

Thanks Ronin8002. How do you like your lifted 3rd Gen? :) Has any part of the lift been giving you problems?

Also, I have a class III hitch and i was planning on flipping the hitch and grinding off the chainhooks and re-welding them on the correct side. Will this work?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Fan Shroud

Also, was anyone able to remove the fan shroud without removing a radiator hose? Because when I went to remove mine, the radiator hose looked as if it was going to be in the way.

James and I both made brackets out of 1/4" steel plates to lift the rear bumper(his idea). There are pictures and an explanation in his 1.5" BL sticky... I've been planning on writing up a "How to" on it. I'll start on it tonight for ya.. Give me until around mid-morning tomorrow.

And I didn't remove any hoses, but I know what you are talking about. I just muscled it out and back in again. It was more flexible after I trimmed it.

Thanks a bunch!! I tried to remove it before the lift but then i read on here that it may be easier to do it after the body is lifted. I started the lift on Dec 26 and then we left on vacation Dec 27 and now we are back so I can finish up on the lift. :D

There are hoses connected to the lower shroud that you need to take off before you pull it out. I'd still try to get it out before hand of I were you. Some people just leave it out, so you could always just do that....

Thanks Ronin8002. How do you like your lifted 3rd Gen? :) Has any part of the lift been giving you problems?

Also, I have a class III hitch and i was planning on flipping the hitch and grinding off the chainhooks and re-welding them on the correct side. Will this work?

No major problems with the lift, other than what everyone sees with front spindle to coil contact. Doesn't happen to me on speedbumps, just offroading. Body lift has been great, no issues at all.

When you do your spacer lift, I HIGHLY recommend making your own extended swaybar links, it's pretty cheap and easy and will really reduce the amount of body roll you get in when turning at speed. I just made some today and they work great. Here's a "how to" thread:

http://explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=194211

For the bumper I think you'd be better off making brackets for a cleaner install but the bumper flip does work. You could always leave the bumper out and put just the bumper cover on for a few days if you have to have the truck up and running while you're making the brackets.

Thanks a bunch!! I tried to remove it before the lift but then i read on here that it may be easier to do it after the body is lifted. I started the lift on Dec 26 and then we left on vacation Dec 27 and now we are back so I can finish up on the lift. :D

It must be out when lifting body(lower fan shroud) or stress on the fan can/will very easily break off a fin or two and the fan is trash...think fan will be going down in reference to all the radiator etc moving up..

so since you have to remove the shroud and be in the area, wouldn't that be a perfect time to do the electric fan mod?

I suppose you could. From what I've read from other members that mod doesn't do well in the heat. It gets incredibly hot where I am here in FL, so that mod isn't even on my list.

Does the mod have the fan run 24/7? In Iraq we had to remove the relay so the fan would run 24/7.

I honestly haven't read that much into it.... I get crap gas mileage and I've already come to terms with that. I don't want my ex to be necessarily efficient, just run very well; and it does.

If you do an electric fan make sure to use a Taurus or better yet, a Mark VIII fan. The two I tried were not up to the task even when they ran continously. I think making sure you have a shroud that covers the whole radiator is also important. Fiberglass would be a good way of making your own shroud.

It shouldn't need to run all the time if you have it set up right...only time it should run continuously is when your A/C is on.

Anyway at the end of my experiments I just went back the the clutch fan. I got better gas mileage with the electric ones but I was always worried about overheating, or keeping an eye on the temp guage all the time in case the fan failed. I feel that the clutch fan is much more reliable.

Would dual fans be more efficient than a Mark VIII fan?

Would dual fans be more efficient than a Mark VIII fan?

Not sure. All depends on the CFM they flow. From what I've read that Mark VIII fan moves some serious air. I don't know if there are dual fans that would fit that could match it.

I was able to get the fan shoud out, but I did have to remove the radiator hose on the bottom. The lift would have been much easier if you didn't have to file out the steering extension. We should find someone that could make those specifically for 3rd gen's.
I will probably end up using brackets for the bumper like you guys did. Thanks for everyone's help.

Just posted the how-to thread for the brackets.... Let me know if you have any questions.

chrisaw0811 said:
The lift would have been much easier if you didn't have to file out the steering extension. We should find someone that could make those specifically for 3rd gen's.

I used a bench grinder on mine...

I thought about using a bench grinder but instead I did about an hour of filing on each end because like you I was afraid of taking too much off. Lol. I finally finished the lift except for the rear bumper. Did anyone else feel a draft from the fan when standing next to the vehicle? When I walked by mine, I believe it was that driver's side, I felt draft... Hopefully I will be getting some 33's tomorrow :D Does anyone have any for sale?

And thanks for the "How To" thread.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back