• Register Today It's free!

bucking/backfire/stalling

slowstang88

Reaction score
City, State
las vegas
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Mountineer 5.0
I asked this question before and got one reply stating check and clean IAC, well it was already clean and no problems on first start up. I did notice after longer hiway trips at 55-75mph then exiting and sitting at a light or stop sign the charge gauge was pretty low with a/c on. I did replace the mechanical fan with a dual electric fan unit from a v6 contour and thought maybe the alternator isn't handling the load. I got it home and put a voltmeter on the alternator charge lug and cranked the engine and turned on a/c, headlights, rear blower, stereo, and rear defroster and got 11.5v at idle, then the rough idle came back. Turned off all electrical doodads and voltage went up to 13.9v. I have the 130amp alternator and called a local shop that rebuilds alts and starters and they said they can rewind it to 180 or 200 amps. Problem is, I don't know which one to go with or if I should upgrade the main charge cable. Any advice?

Nothing at all? Should I increase the main charging lead gauge? Is 180 or 200 amp too much?

Thanks for the help. I don't know why I even bother

Back