Bumper and step bar rubber pieces

the_tool_man

Reaction score
City, State
Spartanburg, SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 Sport 4x4
Hi all:

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I didn't find it after a quick search. I'd like to paint the grey parts of my '01 Sport black to match the body. My concern is that the plastic upper surfaces of the rear bumper and step bars is a wear surface and will show grey after a short time. Were these ever available molded from black plastic? If not, what's the best way to keep them from chipping (aside from removing them or not using them, of course)?

Thanks in advance,
John.

Are you planning on painting them yourself or having a shop do it?

Hi Hartman:

A little of both, actually. I am probably going to have the body panels painted professionally. The bumper and step bars I will have powder coated at a local shop I work with. If I can time it right, I can just put my parts into one of their normal batches of parts and get it done pretty cheap. I am planning on removing, preping and reinstalling all of the pieces myself.

The rubber/plastic pieces on the bumper & step bar - well I don't know yet. They'll have to be removed from the metal prior to powder coating, but I don't know the best way to change them to black that won't wear off. Hey, Black Magic, what did you do on yours?

I considered leaving the rubber pieces grey, but I think it wouldn't look right with everything else black.

Regards,
John.

The rubber pieces could be dyed, not painted. A couple of companies make vinyl dyes which should work for this. Do a search for Black Magic's thread. He had everything you're talking about done and I'm pretty sure he used a dye of some sort.
Here's a link to his thread:

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79626

Back