Bumper height RUT ROH

TheRookie

Traveling SAS guru
Reaction score
City, State
West Chester PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 explorer xlt
Well my pathetic calculations say my bumpers are going to be over the max height for PA. I need both to be about 7 inches lower than they will be. I can remove my body lift which will put them 3 inches lower but would like to avoid it. I am thinking about fabbing basicaly a bar that goes into my rear hitch. This solves the rear but leaves the front in some trouble. I will not be able to put a front reciever on as my sas will not allow it. I may be able to fab up something like a hitch off my cross bar I am adding. But I think it will look kinda nasty. The advantage of using the hitch technique is obviously being able to quickly remove them for the trails. Please any ideas are apreciated. Someone here has to have dealt with this.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is PA super strict on there laws? i know here where i live, they are relaxed abotu laws like that......

If they are i would see bout making a hitch into your crossmember for your SAS and make a thing liek what your doing for the back.....

Or you know how Body Lifts have Lift brackets, you could make 4" Lowering brackets for the Bumper, just would have a God awful gap:fart:

-Caleb

Yeah I gotta avoid the gap. In PA they varry on strictness. Where I live they are strict. And Doing inspections I would lose my inspection liscense for it.
Making a hitch into my crossmember is actualy a good idea. Thats exactly what lizardtrac did and I am more or less copying his sas. He has been amazingly helpfull putting up with a bunch of questions. THANKS CHRIS YOU RULE

You could do the inspection yourself and possibly tell cops or whoever that the bumpers were raised after the inspection. When I used to do inspections, my pathfinder "passed" the emmision test with a blown out muffler seam and a cracked manifold. I also did the test after hours and at night. If I ever got pulled over I would just say the muffler blew out after the test was run. My old bosses were really cool and would let me inspect our cars after hours. Just try and inspect it yourself, do not tell anyone the bumpers are not at the correct height, and after the stickers are on, if they ask tell the you raised the bumpers after the inspection was done. If I still worked at the shop I used to, I would throw the stickers on at night after hours, but I no longer do that struff in the pursuit of more money in the computer field.

As an inspector i am expected to know better. I cant simply say I raised the bumpers later as obviously I should know it is too high. I would get a ticket for it. Granted I could keep my liscense but still. I do not condone cheating the laws any. There is a law on bumper height and I intend to find a way to follow it.

Is the law still the lowest part has to be within 30 inches of the ground? If it is just make a removable extension for the street, kinda like a removable airdam. That could possibly still be considered part of the bumper, you could remove it for the trail, and the bumper would be within legal limits.

The law is the bottom of the front bumper must be within 27 inches and the rear 29 inches for the explorers weight class. I am looking towards a removeable option but dont want it to look like crap.

<-- doing D44 SAS

OK so i spent longer on other stuff of this pic than the whole idea of this picture:rolleyes:

But how bout somthign that is the red part.... Have like a tube bumper, or you could weld this to what ever you are using, make some brackets and attatch this lower Tube attatchment via Bolts, or possible Cotterpins for quick disconnect..... I dont think if dont right it would look to bad, but i also dont know if they would consider that.....

EDIT: CRAP I JUST DREW THAT PICTURE ALL WRONG, you are gunan go leaf spring right??? :banghead:

Attachments

• therookie.JPG
    therookie.JPG
    43.2 KB · Views: 174

Yeah i am going leaf but that pic is awesome. thanks man. i apreciate it. you even got the pumpkin on the correct side. :) i will probably be going with that idea

I couldnt get the leaf springs to look right for some reason, but oh well

Attachments

• therookie2.JPG
    therookie2.JPG
    43.9 KB · Views: 176

dude it looks great. thanks.

Back