• Register Today It's free!

bumper slot ram air

ATX_TrunkPunk

Reaction score
City, State
Austin, Tx
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 Sport
Alright, ive been workin on making a pseudo ram air kit for my 1st gen X. I have everything ready except, i just need to make the scoop. I plan on putting the scoop behind the 4 bumper slots just above the license plate. My question is, does anyone know a good and easy way to make a scoop for this situation? (also keeping in mind budget). thanks guys!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Go to home depot and check out the alumunum ducting for house heating/cooling vents.

Also dont laugh but the plastic vacuum attachments fit EXACLTY in those holes and you can connect a 1.5" tube to them :)

I cut a 4" dia hole in my radiator support on my BII for my cold air feed, ran a 4" dryer hose up to the filter from there. WORKS FANTASTIC, dont be afraid to cut.......

If you use those two bumper slots you may hurt the cooling of the engine, not sure on that, never tried. :)

furnace ducting?

EDIT: too late

NO look at the section where the FLOOR registers are...there is a great box shape that goes behind the register and connnects it to a 3" dia tube....

OR make something out of sheet aluminum, its not that hard and its CHEAP.

I still say use the dremmel and cut a 4" hole behind the grill, right where the stock intake used to get its cold air....

does anyone have any date to support that benifits of ram air? I know an effective setup does have bvenifits at highway speeds, but at what speed does it start to kick in? Would a hood scoop set up just to vent, in orer to lower under hood temp be of any benefit? I"m of the belife that at any sort of highway speed, you'll be sucking in air that is close to ambient, and around town, a ram air would be of little benifit.

I was toying with he idea of some sort of ram air or functional hood scoops, but i'm not sure if i want the look of a truck with scoops, i personally like very subtle changes, there too loud for me. But if they prove to be worth it, I'll certainly sacrafice looks for function.

Originally posted by cantspell
does anyone have any date to support that benifits of ram air? I know an effective setup does have bvenifits at highway speeds, but at what speed does it start to kick in?

About 120 mph+

...If You're talking ram air. You gotta go pretty darn fast to force the air in fast enough to make any difference.
See old threads on this, they were most informative.

Now, if you're talking cold air with ducting and so forth then that would be do-able at any decent speed (50 mph+), but then the effects are not as great as with ram air.

The difference between 30 degF air and 90 degF air is not going to affect a normal vehicle that much. Now with racing, it can mean tenths of a second off your ET, so it's a BIG deal for that.

alright folks. Thanks for the responses. After much deliberation, i think im gonna go with makin' the scoop outta some sheetmetal. However, do any of you guys know where i could find some flexable 2" diameter tubing?

HomeDepot or try like a RV place

Back