Burning oil after a botched oil change crankcase overfilled | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Burning oil after a botched oil change crankcase overfilled

GopherSC

Reaction score
City, State
Summerville
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Ford Explorer XLS
Hi
I have an 2002 Ford Explorer with appx 178k miles 4.0l SOHC 2WD automatic XLS. My son performed an oil change and put in a 6 quart jug of oil and drove it approx 1 mile realized it was smoking bad (like Fogging for Mosquitoes bad) turned around came right home and shut it off. He called me and I got home and when I checked oil it was overfull. I drained out all the extra oil but something has been damaged. The vehicle continues to burn a lot of oil probably a quart a week it smokes quite a bit when oil is full. I have checked the PCV valve and hoses all is well. It is burning enough oil where in 2-3 weeks fouls a spark plug on the drivers side of engine. I am guessing this may be valve seals but i dont know if an over filled crankcase could have damaged these or can it be something else. I never noticed engine smoke before over full of oil.The vehicle has plenty of power when spark plugs are clean so I dont belive it the rings. I do see oil on top of intake from valve cover gaskets on passenger side but I don't think that can be getting into a cylinder on the drivers side. With this kind of mileage valve seal maybe too expensive Does anyone have any thoughts that are different.
Hoping for answers Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I didn't know oil came in 6qt jugs, I've only seen 5qt and 4qt.

What oil was put in? A search for 6qt is only coming up with Havoline not-so-SMART Change.

Here are the fluid capacities for future reference. I'm guessing some moron at a parts store told him the V8's capacity?

FordExplorerFluidCapacities.png

I agree. Largest jug is a 5 qt.

How much oil did you have to drain out for it to be right?

And about the only thing that I could see doing this is the pvc valve. I have seen 4.0’s fill up the air filter box with oil from a bad pvc valve. Just replace it and see what happens.

I didn't know oil came in 6qt jugs, I've only seen 5qt and 4qt.

What oil was put in? A search for 6qt is only coming up with Havoline not-so-SMART Change.

Here are the fluid capacities for future reference. I'm guessing some moron at a parts store told him the V8's capacity?

View attachment 320235
yes that was the oil alright 6 quart box. Should been 5 quarts in the V6 4.0L

Back