• Register Today It's free!

Burning plastic smell

Blue Steel

Reaction score
City, State
Wilmington, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer '97 XLT SOHC
Well, this is an odd question. After a long trip on the highway, i get this smell from the front of the truck, right where the grill is, of a burning rubber kinda smell. I can't for the life of me figure out what's going on. No weird noises, or clunks of any sort, just a burning smell. Anyone have any clue as to what it could be? Thanks everyone.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

have you changed anything? new breaks?

I got a smell like that on my truck after i went wheeling. I bent my exhaust pipe up so it was hitting the tupperware on the bottom of the truck and melting it.

thanks namitey, i'll look into that, but the smell is distinctly coming from the front of the truck, right where the grill is. i've replaced my rear brake pads and rotors a couple months ago, and i'm about to get new pads for the front, but that's it as far as breaks. thanks for all the imput so far

Try this, maybe it will work?

Let the engine cool and the smell dissappear. Crank the engine, and with the hood open start trying to sniff out where the smell is coming from. Maybe it will be easier to locate when it is still a small smell and not spread out so much.

Back