Burning smell on test drive 2014 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Burning smell on test drive 2014

wallyuwl

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010 Equinox
A week or so ago we test drove a 2014 XLT with the standard V6. There was a very strong burning smell on my wife's test drive. It was really noticeable when we were stopped (no air flow). A few days before that I was at a different dealership and test drove a different 2014 XLT (same engine) and it didn't have that smell. The one salesman said it is the catalytic converter and the smell goes away after a couple hundred miles.

Is this the dreaded "exhaust smell in cabin" or actually what the salesman said? It didn't smell like exhaust, more like burning. Is it something that maybe they changed and the one I drove might have had a more recent build date?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Its pretty normal for one to smell with under 25 miles on it

...RRRUUUUUUUUUN AWAYYYYY ! :eek:;):(:D:mad::):eek::D:eek::D:eek::D:eek:

Brakes burning in maybe??

Theres a thread on here regarding a burning smell experienced in the cabin during stop and hard acceleration. I wouldnt even go back to the one who had that issue.
I believe it had to do with the catalytic converter, possibly something not sealed up properly. cant remember exactly

I had the same really nasty smell on my test drive and then for a few days after mine was delivered. Nothing since.

Mine had a smell also when I first took delivery on it. Kind of a plastic/rubber burning smell. I'd say it probably stopped by 200 miles or so. I didn't really pay attention to when it stopped. It wasn't for very long though.

Back