2013 Explorer test drive...major pull to left on hard acceleration...hmmm??? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2013 Explorer test drive...major pull to left on hard acceleration...hmmm???

...I'm not familiar enough with the Explorer to know the different driving modes with which you can drive (if it would even make a difference)...

Hi Jetskier,

As Peter mentions below, I recommend having your sales rep show you the different driving modes available on the Explorer. Additionally, the service manager at your dealership is a great resource for any technical questions you may have.

...If you take another Sport for a test drive, have the left screen set to display the picture (Intelligent 4WD) that shows which wheels are being powered. I'm sure that you will see that upon a quick start, the rear wheels will briefly show power to them. Have the salesman set it up for you if you are interested in it...

Great advice, Peter! :thumbsup:

Crystal

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I greatly appreciate all the feedback....all good and helpful info!

No, I have never driven a front wheel drive, so, perhaps its just something I need to get used to. And I will take the advice and speak with the service manager at my next test drive regarding "set-up". I will also keep an eye on the "left screen display" (showing intelligent 4WD engagement). The sales guy who rode along with me my last test drive did not know a whole lot about the Explorer.

Thanks again,
Gary

What a great site (at least the 2011+ Explorer section). Overall, it seems most people are quite respectful, patient, and helpful. Either the moderators really do a great job, or, its just the temperment/personality of the Explorer owner. :)

my sport has a little torque steer on a hard takeoff in normal mode. With the traction control off, you better be hanging on when going WOT. Any speed less than 60 mph and punching it will get your heart rate up with the traction control off. :)

It is never dangerous but you need to be aware of it. Have you never driven a FWD vehicle with power before? All of them do it. My old 92 Taurus SHO only had 220HP and would almost move into another lane on a hard start if you were not holding on and correcting. I think it's fun. :)

Same here - I have some torque steer at WOT from a standing start, but the torque steer fades pretty quickly.

And it's affirming that your car has cojones!

it definatly sounds like torque-steer..
all fwd vehicles experience depending on how heavy your foot gets.. the reason it pulls to the left and not the right is because the left side of the vehicle is the "short axle side"... the cv axle on the left is shorter than the right side cv shaft. This creates more power being transferred to that wheel due the fact that its the shortest path for the horse-power flow..

Yes sir. It's torque steer. I brought Gandalf the white out for a spin. Did some hard acceleration and sure as sh!te it did it. Very exciting. Haven't seen so many people stare at a vehicle. One guy almost went off the road. Another dude pulled up in his Escalade and starting revving his penis.... I mean engine. I laughed at him and gave him the finger as he took off. What a hoser eh!

2014 Explorer Sport handling during hard acceleration

I just took delivery of my new 2014 Explorer Sport. I had a 2013 Explorer XLT, but traded it in once I found a Sport nearby with the features I wanted. The new truck had only 91 miles on it when I drove it off the lot and even though it's not "broken in", I can't help but "jump in the gas" from time to time. BTW, it's SILLY fast.

However, when I gun it, the handling gets all squirrely. I have to really be careful to keep it going straight. I also can't imagine all the police departments buying these are happy with this behavior. It's as though the traction control (which is on) is unevenly sending power to each of the 4 wheels. I'm not sure if that's even possible, though.

I haven't talked to my dealer service department yet, mainly because I doubt they'll have information as mine was the first Sport they had ever seen.

Is anyone else experiencing this?

I just took delivery of my new 2014 Explorer Sport. I had a 2013 Explorer XLT, but traded it in once I found a Sport nearby with the features I wanted. The new truck had only 91 miles on it when I drove it off the lot and even though it's not "broken in", I can't help but "jump in the gas" from time to time. BTW, it's SILLY fast.

However, when I gun it, the handling gets all squirrely. I have to really be careful to keep it going straight. I also can't imagine all the police departments buying these are happy with this behavior. It's as though the traction control (which is on) is unevenly sending power to each of the 4 wheels. I'm not sure if that's even possible, though.

I haven't talked to my dealer service department yet, mainly because I doubt they'll have information as mine was the first Sport they had ever seen.

Is anyone else experiencing this?
Welcome to the Forum stanoman.:wavey:
As indicated in my PM, I have moved your post to this thread about the same issue. If you bring up the AWD display in the left information screen you will see that if you accelerated very quickly, the 'drive' is distributed to all wheels with most of it to the front. In normal acceleration, the power will likely all be to the front wheels. I guess it is more noticeable with the Sport although in over 2 1/2 years of having my Limited I can't say I've noticed any torque steer.
Good luck and happy motoring. :):thumbsup:

Peter

I searched the forums before posting, but didn't know this was called "torque steer". Now that I know, I seem to recall having this issue with my 1990, Honda Civic Si - which was FWD. With traction control and 4WD - and 23 years of technology on the Explorer's side - I didn't even think about this and figured it was "bug", not a "feature". I guess I'll just jump on the "this is exciting" bandwagon and lay off the gas a bit. Very helpful thread. Thanks everyone.

I searched the forums before posting, but didn't know this was called "torque steer". Now that I know, I seem to recall having this issue with my 1990, Honda Civic Si - which was FWD. With traction control and 4WD - and 23 years of technology on the Explorer's side - I didn't even think about this and figured it was "bug", not a "feature". I guess I'll just jump on the "this is exciting" bandwagon and lay off the gas a bit. Very helpful thread. Thanks everyone.
No problem. I only knew because I've been here a few years and recall reading previous posts about the issue. Sometimes when doing a 'Search' you sort of have to use your imagination. :D

Peter

With the police versions, they have a different calibration in regards to how the Ex puts down power as well as a different steering calibration. Not quite sure they have torque steer like the retail versions.

As stated, the 4wd is primarily fwd when in normal mode so even when you gun it, most of the power goes to the front. If it does get close to 50/50, it doesn't last very long.

Only way to get more power distributed to the rear is to put it in Sand mode which the manual says not to drive in Sand mode for long periods of time (I'm assuming because of the wear and tear constantly put on the rear end that it wasn't designed for).

So I was just about to make a new thread when I saw this.

I have a 2014 Sport that I just bought Thursday, 7/27/2023. It looks like this thread is about to celebrate its 10 year birthday, and it has been chocked up to torque steer, however that is definitely not what I have going on.

This happens when I floor it, when I moderatley accelerate, and when I keep up with traffic. About the only way to not let this happen is to drive like a grandma's great grandmother and piss off everyone behind me.

The vehicle will pull hard, even violently to the left, and will stay there as I maintain small amounts of acceleration, then when I let off, the ABS light will flash, the steering jerks hard back to the right, and the pump makes the front driver wheel ABS activate, even tho I'm not touching the brakes. When driving normally, the steering is off to the left about 15 degrees, but I have to input about 45 to 50 degrees of steering to counteract the jerking.

Last night, my mechanic buddy (MB) and I took it out on the interstate to see what it would do under full acceleration to 100mph, and when I hit about 85, it went nuts. Jerked left, right, left, right, ABS went crazy, Trailer Sway warning came on, and at that point I backed off and regained control because I was scared I was gonna end up in a ditch upside down.

MB said that he thinks it's the ABS. Either a bad sensor or the whole damn thing, but it cant read the speed correctly of the wheels, so it can't decide what wheel to send power to, and it puts all power to the bad sensed wheel. When I let off, the ABS senses the speed again and distributes power correctly, resulting in the steering righting itself to normal. I watched the Intelligent 4WD display, and it always shows power going to the front evenly.

Tomorrow, 7/31/2023, I am going to have Sioux Falls Ford take a look at it, but do you guys here on the Forum think MB is right with the ABS, or does anyone have any other ideas?

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
With the vehicle going through all those variations of steering I am sure that a trouble code likely was set. Did you scan for one? That may help in tracking down the issue. It could be a wheel speed sensor issue, but the code, if any, would definitely help.

Peter

With the vehicle going through all those variations of steering I am sure that a trouble code likely was set. Did you scan for one? That may help in tracking down the issue. It could be a wheel speed sensor issue, but the code, if any, would definitely help.

Peter
I have not yet. There are no lights that are lit up on the dash, but may have something that is in there historically that doesn't command a master malfunction light. I'm headed to SF ford in about an hour to see what they say...

Peter
Also, thanks for the warm welcome! It's so nice to have a place like this to ask questions about vehicles!

Cheers!

Based on your explanation, it should trigger a code (since ABS light flashed) and that would be stored, even if no lights are currently on.
Let us know what they find. My guess is possibly an ABS sensor or possibly the module.

You need to buy an OBD2 adapter that can sync to your phone. The check engine light will almost never come on unless there is a major issue then its usually too late. There is more than likely something a lot more serious than ABS causing your issues. These cars use EPAS and its possible steering rack could be bad. They are very expensive and may be why this car was for sale.

Hello all!

So far, from the diagnostics I have had done, I received a C1B00 code, which is the steering angle sensor. According to SF Ford, they say that the only way to replace it is to replace the entire rack. The guy said it is a non serviceable sensor located inside the rack itself, so the entire rack needs to be replaced in order to fix the problem. If my Explorer had the auto park, it would be on the steering column, but the ones w/o auto park are in the rack.

So I have another $1500 dollars to spend on this particular fix. Can anybody recommend the best rack for the cheapest price? O'Reilly Auto can get me a reman MasterPro (That's their house brand) for $889.99, $995.75 after tax and delivery. Part No. 201-0159E. Does anyone have a better solution?

Thanks,
Dave.

Hello all!

So, I sent the Sport to a repair shop and it ended up being a control arm/ball joint that was loose. I never suspected that would be the cause because the vehicle never made any noise or clunks at all!! I brought her home last night and it drives like a dream! All sensors working correctly and steering wheel is centered like it is supposed to be!

Thanks everyone for the help!!!

Next question, How do I update my profile on here with a photo instead of a 1?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Next question, How do I update my profile on here with a photo instead of a 1?
Glad to read that all is well now with the Sport.
In order to insert a picture (Avatar) you have to purchase an Elite Explorer membership ($20) which has other benefits as well.
"Join the ranks of the Elite Explorers. You will be able to upload photos to our Media Gallery, upload photo attachments directly to your posts, upload your own avatar, increase your Conversation inbox limit, post in our for sale forums, post in the "911" forum, no advertisements, no banner ads, no more double underlined links, or ads attached to photos."
BTW, there is usually a 2 for 1 membership special around Black Fridays/Cyber Monday where you can get 2 years for the price of 1.

Peter

Back