2013 Explorer test drive...major pull to left on hard acceleration...hmmm??? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2013 Explorer test drive...major pull to left on hard acceleration...hmmm???

Jetskier

Reaction score
City, State
Hermosa beach, Calif
Year, Model & Trim Level
07 Tundra Crewmax Limited
I am interested in the 2013 X Sport, so I went and test drove one today. Upon relatively hard acceleration I felt a very significant "pull" to the left and REALLY caught me off guard. I thought maybe it was the rode or some other anomaly, but, I did comment to the sales guy/fleet manager about it, and he actually felt it too. I then tried to duplicate it a few times, and sure enough, I could duplicate it, maybe every other time (odd I couldn't duplicate it every time). I literally took my hands off the wheel and accelerated very hard, to confirm that it wasn't just me. Now, this was not just a slight "pull", this was a very dangerous "pull".
Upon returning to the dealer, the fleet manager said he would talk to his techs to see if they have "heard" of anything like this.
Needless to say, I was very disappointed. I was really set on getting rid of my Tundra Crewmax limited for an Explorer Sport, but now I'm not so sure. I'm seeing the "smell upon acceleration" threads (which I did not notice on my test drive), the "power steering" issue, and now this.

I tried a search regarding my issue and did not have any success.
Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Gary

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Fleet manager just sent me a text..." it seems the slight pull upon quick acceleration is a result of torque when in front wheel drive".
Could this be true?
I actually thought this might be the case at the time it happened but it just pulls too hard for it to be that.
This is not a "slight pull", as he describes above.

Now, I know the Sport is a "intelligent 4WD" SUV, but I'm not sure what that means.

Hmmmm....Why can I only duplicate the "issue" half the time?

Haven't had any torque steer on my Sport. None. Not sure what's going on with yours.

You let "go" of the wheel? Not safe. Especially when accelerating. Very strange indeed. I haven't heard anything on torque steer for a long time. There was some discussion on it when the 11's first came out.

Haven't had any torque steer on my Sport. None. Not sure what's going on with yours.[/QUOTE

Thank you for your feedback. I didn't think it was torque steer.

My Sport has significant torque steer. It surprised me the first few times, particularly when changing lanes while accelerating. I don't think that it is dangerous, but you do need to keep both hands on the wheel.

My Sport has significant torque steer. It surprised me the first few times, particularly when changing lanes while accelerating. I don't think that it is dangerous, but you do need to keep both hands on the wheel.

Above, Broken strut said, "Haven't had any torque steer on my Sport. None. Not sure what's going on with yours."

Hmmm...now I'm confused. There is "none, or there is "significant" torque steer?

I just did a quick search on the torque steer for the Sports. It is apparently a result of the front wheel drive and the amazing amount of power this truck has. I personally haven't noticed it. But I'm Scottish so I don't jump on it all that much. I like a smooth acceleration vise a snap your had back kind.

His significant torque steer is probably from a significantly heavy foot.

I just did a quick search on the torque steer for the Sports. It is apparently a result of the front wheel drive and the amazing amount of power this truck has. I personally haven't noticed it. But I'm Scottish so I don't jump on it all that much. I like a smooth acceleration vise a snap your had back kind.

Gotcha. Much obliged.

The heaviness of the foot is a definite factor. I've been cautiously driving on snow and ice (and often in snow mode) for several months. Under those conditions, there is no torque steer. While quickly passing on dry pavement, however, there is.

Interesting, very helpful....thank you.
Though, I am still curious as to why I could make it "pull" sometimes, and not others.
If you accelerate hard from a stop it is likely that all 4 wheels will be engaged briefly before reverting to FWD. I had that AWD drive showing briefly on the display in just a moderate start.
Have never experienced torque steer with the Ex.

Peter

Thanks Peter.
I'm not familiar enough with the Explorer to know the different driving modes with which you can drive (if it would even make a difference). Perhaps this particular X that I drove today was in a particular mode which would cause more torque steering...I dont know. What I do know is that I really only know enough to sound like I have no idea what I'm talking about. :)
Perhaps I will test drive another Explorer to see if I can duplicate the "behavior".

my sport has a little torque steer on a hard takeoff in normal mode. With the traction control off, you better be hanging on when going WOT. Any speed less than 60 mph and punching it will get your heart rate up with the traction control off. :)

It is never dangerous but you need to be aware of it. Have you never driven a FWD vehicle with power before? All of them do it. My old 92 Taurus SHO only had 220HP and would almost move into another lane on a hard start if you were not holding on and correcting. I think it's fun. :)

yes i agree.. my wifes 2011 toyota sienna is FWD and will pull when hard acceleration is applied. all FWD i have driven has had that problem.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks Peter.
I'm not familiar enough with the Explorer to know the different driving modes with which you can drive (if it would even make a difference). Perhaps this particular X that I drove today was in a particular mode which would cause more torque steering...I dont know. What I do know is that I really only know enough to sound like I have no idea what I'm talking about. :)
Perhaps I will test drive another Explorer to see if I can duplicate the "behavior".
I can almost guarantee that you were in NORMAL drive mode. Regardless of which mode the Explorer was in prior to turning the ignition off, it automatically reverts to NORMAL on start up. The modes are controlled by the Terrain Management System (TMS) knob on the console. Chosing different modes will change gearing and shift points under certain conditions. Unless you are in sand/gravel, deep snow or off the beaten trail, it should be left in NORMAL.
If you take another Sport for a test drive, have the left screen set to display the picture (Intelligent 4WD) that shows which wheels are being powered. I'm sure that you will see that upon a quick start, the rear wheels will briefly show power to them. Have the salesman set it up for you if you are interested in it.
Good luck and happy shopping.

Peter

Back