• Register Today It's free!

Busted Radiator???

Knox5.0

Reaction score
City, State
Knox, Tn
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 XLT 5.0
I got home today after running some errands and i notice coolant dripping pretty fast under the front of the car. I open the hood and everything up top is dry. Both upper and lower radiator hoses are dry. So i crawl underneath and its leaking on the mid to lower right side(passenger side) of the radiator above the drain plug. I cant actually see where the coolant is coming from but the entire lower right corner of the radiator is wet.
I did check the drain plug itself and tightened it as much as i could. Wiped everything down and started the motor. After about a minute it starts dripping again. It seems to be leaking above the petcock somewhere. Im going to remove the radiator shroud tomorrow to have a better look because the leak is somewhere behind it. Is there anything else behind the shroud on the right side that could leak other than the radiator itself?

How bad of a DIY is it to replace the radiator?

Radiator is pry toast, had the same exact thing happen. The rad is probably cracked like mine was, one the front around or near one of the ribs which you can't see. It'll drip down to the petcock and make it look like its leaking from there. I took mine out, sealed it, and then pressurized with water and saw it was leaking from the front but you couldn't even see the crack, it was just coming out and flowing along the rib and dripping down.

replacing the radiator on the 5.0 is a beotch, just a plain big pain in the ass lol.

here's when I had my leak with pics: http://explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=229459

and then removing the radiator: http://explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=230262

Do a complete flush with new coolant as well, may as well replace the t-stat too. Be very careful with the t-stat as those bolts like to seize 99% of the time. Use penetrating oil for a few days and try very careful. I ended up shearing a bolt in the manifold intake.

The tough parts of the radiator replacement is first the mechanical fan clutch removal, and second separating the AC condenser from the radiator. Other than that it isn't too bad.

I got home today after running some errands and i notice coolant dripping pretty fast under the front of the car. I open the hood and everything up top is dry. Both upper and lower radiator hoses are dry. So i crawl underneath and its leaking on the mid to lower right side(passenger side) of the radiator above the drain plug. I cant actually see where the coolant is coming from but the entire lower right corner of the radiator is wet.
I did check the drain plug itself and tightened it as much as i could. Wiped everything down and started the motor. After about a minute it starts dripping again. It seems to be leaking above the petcock somewhere. Im going to remove the radiator shroud tomorrow to have a better look because the leak is somewhere behind it. Is there anything else behind the shroud on the right side that could leak other than the radiator itself?

How bad of a DIY is it to replace the radiator?
Hey man when a radiator is aged the amount of mileage tells me that the crimp and gasket between both tanks and coils the gasket and the factory crimp just give way hopefully that helps

Back