• Register Today It's free!

Buy extra lease miles

DelSil

Reaction score
City, State
Delaware
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Ford Explorer XLT
This question is actually for my 2013 Ford Edge and not my 2011 Explorer. I leased my Edge in July 2013 when I traded my 09 Edge. I was told at lease inception that I can buy extra miles as my lease is one year from expiration. Does any know about this program? Is it run through Ford or is it dealer specific? I got me Edge at Pacifico Ford in Philadelphia. Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You can only buy extra miles at the lease inception, not during. The maximum allowable miles are stated on your contract as well as the cost per mile over that limit. One of the downsides to leases.

I believe Riley is correct in that any extra miles/kms must be written ibto the contract when the lease is signed. I'm on my 6th lease and have never heard about being able to buy extra miles/kms at the initial rate once the lease has begun. Since I never come close to my limit, it has never been an issue.

Peter

You should be able to extend your lease, getting extra miles for the extension. Sometimes that makes more sense than paying the penalty for going over in miles. However, if you are way over and need to keep using the vehicle, that won't help you.

You should be able to extend your lease, getting extra miles for the extension. Sometimes that makes more sense than paying the penalty for going over in miles. However, if you are way over and need to keep using the vehicle, that won't help you.

I believe (could be wrong) that you can only extend your lease if you are waiting on a special order vehicle to arrive. Even then they will prorate your additional monthly miles based on your original contract. I know of someone who extended their 2 year lease by 14 months while he waited for his '13 MKZ to be built and released. Kept being delayed to fix new model issues.

I believe you are correct Riley. My previous 2011 Limited's 4 year lease was set to expire March 2015. I was then interested in getting a 2016 model which wouldn't be out until July/August. I was advised that the only way I could extend the lease on the 2011 was to place a firm order for a 2016 when my lease expired. Since they talked me out of the lease after 3 years, this is no longer an issue. When my new 3 year lease expires April 2017, I will have a choice of getting a 2017 Ex Platinum or extending the lease and order a 2018. This time, if I go for an extension, I won't be concerned about not having any warranty because the MKT comes with a 4 year factory warranty.

Peter

Internet manager here at a ford store in NJ, you cannot but extra miles after you have signed for the lease. If you extend the lease then you are allowed the extra miles based off of what you currently have. So if your in a 12k lease and extend for 2 months they'll give you an extra 2k miles.

Back