• Register Today It's free!

Buyback - Finally a possible out

mw40xlt

Reaction score
City, State
Northglenn, co
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020, Explorer XLT
I've posted a few times about my 2020 XLT having a bunch of issues with electrical, transmission, and suspension. It's been frustrating since May 2020 when I bought this vehicle. I'd been to the shop a few times and was told the transmission issue was my "aggressive driving." Finally, a tech took my car home overnight and experienced it for himself. In addition, I'd been taking photos for months of all the errors I get on the car. Usually, I can shut the car off a few times and clear each out. My last issue before going to the dealer was my headlights would not come on. All the dash lights were on except the panel area to the left steering wheel. My front camera went out, back camera recall, errors about back passenger seat belts, lane assist doesn't work, the compass is usually wrong, boy the list goes on.

Earlier this month I took my car to the original dealer I purchased from along with a 5-page printout with my screenshots and summary. I'm certain the guys in the shop laughed and I was the joke for the day. Well, turns out it is the transmission and they ordered parts that have been back-ordered twice. The dealer was nice and put me immediately into a loaner vehicle. Their plan was to also reprogram and see if it fixes the electrical issues. In one of my complaints, I mentioned every time I go to the car wash I watch the hood lift and I wait for it to fly off. The tech chuckled and said no way. Jokes on him. This morning I got a call that over the weekend there were high winds and the hood blew off, smashed the windshield, and cut up a part of the dashboard.

As I'm laughing because truly I can't believe how bad this car is, the tech says how right he thinks this is an Oman and offered to get with his team about a buyback. Great... this car is so bad I want out. I wanted so badly to love it. I'd wanted one for years, waited from the moment the new design was unveiled. This has been the worse vehicle I've bought and I've always bought new.

I started reading through some of the threads about buybacks and there was a great PDF in one of the posts. I'm curious how "fair" Ford is on the buyback refund not for another Ford. Do they make fair offers or stick it to you twice? Also, I had purchased the Ford Extended Warranty and wonder if I get a buyback is there a chance of getting that voided/refunded as well?

Appreciate feedback on your buyback experience. I'm reading up so I can be prepared to negotiate.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm kinda in the same boat as you. My wife's 2020 XLT (also purchased in May) has been in the shop twice for transmission issues, and is still there to this day. We're talking over 60 days of downtime. Now, we have not complained too much (yet) because 1. the dealership has not tried to dodge anything and is taking our complaints seriously (kinda hard not to when your Fordpass app blows up with warnings every time they take it for a test drive) and 2. They have us in a 2020 Expedition Limited that is all tricked out. However, we're about 4 months away from our purchase date, and our state's Lemon Law is applicable to the first year. So, I want to resolve it by then.

We like the car. We'd like to keep it. But it has to work right.

Mike

I believe that in the U.S. that you can get a partial refund on the ESP. At least that is what I recall reading in some posts a long time ago. The Aviator is nice. ;)

Peter

I'm kinda in the same boat as you. My wife's 2020 XLT (also purchased in May) has been in the shop twice for transmission issues, and is still there to this day. We're talking over 60 days of downtime. Now, we have not complained too much (yet) because 1. the dealership has not tried to dodge anything and is taking our complaints seriously (kinda hard not to when your Fordpass app blows up with warnings every time they take it for a test drive) and 2. They have us in a 2020 Expedition Limited that is all tricked out. However, we're about 4 months away from our purchase date, and our state's Lemon Law is applicable to the first year. So, I want to resolve it by then.

We like the car. We'd like to keep it. But it has to work right.

Mike
Sorry to hear you are dealing with the same issue. I was downgraded to the Escape for my loaner and it's been interesting hauling around boxes of printing to my clients. But, I don't want to rock the boat complaining to them. I was surprised that the service writer is the one that started the discussion about a buyback. Took that as a sign if he was making the suggestion. I'd for sure take screenshots when you get those alerts, that way you have proof if/when you venture down the buyback or warranty issue conversation.

Yeah, I had to push a little to get the Expedition. They wanted to put us in a Fusion, which would have been OK for a day or two, but not for very long. I explained it to them this way: "So, we're going from a 7 passenger vehicle to a 5 passenger vehicle. What is Ford's position from a safety standpoint on where my youngest child should ride? Does he go in the trunk or on the roof?"

Suddenly we had a 15 passenger van for a few days, then a 6-passenger F150 until the end of the first time they had our car, and now a very nicely appointed Expedition. I'm getting worried that our kids won't want to go back.

Back