• Register Today It's free!

Buying a 2010, need your advice!!

Chamberlain75

Reaction score
City, State
San Jose
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Ford Explorer XLT
Hi guys, I'm usually around the first generation forum but today I need some help in a 2010 Explorer XLT with 32k miles I want to buy. What do I have to look after in this generation Explorer? How reliable is it? My 93 is bulletproof but what about this one? Any experiences? I plan to keep it for a while.... It has the V6 engine..

Thanks
Francisco Chamberlain

Only real issues with mine are:

- Can't really tow anything with the V6 - even U-Haul won't rent you anything to haul (knew that when I bought though).
- Rear pinion seal leak (check around this forum).
- Gas mileage is less than the V8 believe it or not (not really a problem).
- Annoying whistle from vacuum leak (replaced A/C check already).
- Wind noise from passenger window area. May be window seal or mirror noise (check around this forum).
- Gear shifter gets in the way of A/C controls.
- Climate control blend door replaced (twice).

Other than these small things, I love my 2010 Explorer. Taller inside and roomier than my old Cheap Jerokee and 25 times more reliable! Transmission and engine are still strong. If you buy it from a dealer, see if they will throw in an extended warranty, got mine free with zero deductible. Already used it for the blend door and pinion seal.

I bought a 2009 in June with 108000 miles on it. 8 months and 15000 miles later I haven't done anything mut change the oil! It has been very reliable and is more than capable in the snow. I have the v6 and I tow my small 6 foot trailer with 1 ton of wood pellets without any trouble.

Back