Buying a 2016 sport, need some help with the price | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Buying a 2016 sport, need some help with the price

Nope, it's not nation wide and you got very lucky.
Ford.ca website is still showing 3.99% and 4.99 interest rate and if history repeats itself; the interests rate will only drop after employee pricing and Costco discount.

Trust me, I didn't want to drop $50K+ last year in one shot, as my money is growing nicely in my investments; but I coulnd't stomach paying those high interest rate; which pretty much negates all of the discounts.
I know what you mean, this is exactly why I waited to pull the trigger until now. I'm sorry to hear that the interest rates aren't on par. Maybe you can try talking to the dealer and asking them to explain why this is different? I know there can be supply and demand issues on these. Apparently the reason the 2017s were included in the Ford Employee Pricing is because there are hardly any 2016s out there. So it's a supply and demand issue. But for such a high demand, low supply vehicle, I'm utterly boggled at the low price and low interest. Now that I've had mine for two days, I'm totally in love with it. The engine note is incredible!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Nope, it's not nation wide and you got very lucky.
Ford.ca website is still showing 3.99% and 4.99 interest rate and if history repeats itself; the interests rate will only drop after employee pricing and Costco discount.

Trust me, I didn't want to drop $50K+ last year in one shot, as my money is growing nicely in my investments; but I coulnd't stomach paying those high interest rate; which pretty much negates all of the discounts.
I just checked the Vancouver rates and they are exactly the same as the Ontario rates with the same offers. The rates vary depending on the length of the financing. You can finance here for 1.99% for 48 month. That is also the rate in B.C. The 3.99% is for 72 months as it is in B.C.

Peter

I financed at 1.99% for 4 years. I don't know who on Earth would ever finance a car for 6+ years unless the rate was less than 1%.

I just checked the Vancouver rates and they are exactly the same as the Ontario rates with the same offers. The rates vary depending on the length of the financing. You can finance here for 1.99% for 48 month. That is also the rate in B.C. The 3.99% is for 72 months as it is in B.C.

Peter

Peter

I stand corrected, I was looking at 72mths finance rate.
I alo see in the fine prints that rates are valid from 8/3/2016 to 9/30/2016.

Even though I'm Canadian, I spent much of my adult life living and working in the US, and buying most of my cars there. And let me say how much it sucks to buy cars in Canada. Ironically with the crap exchange rate, cars are significantly cheaper in Canada, but way less room for movement, and dealers generally make that up with higher interest rates. And then we get the bonus of higher sales tax. But amazingly, we pay about the lowest MSRP in the world, and in the end it more than makes up for all the negatives.

The US Sport costs $52.6k equipped the same as my Canadian $53k (except the US one gets the upgraded stereo). They are basically the same price! Taxes are higher in Canada (12% in BC) but varies in the US (6.5% in WA, 0% in OR). But the rates in the US are 0% at 48 months, 0.99% at 60 months. $53,000 CDN is $40,000 USD. But they'll get a little more back with the +2% financing, but in the end, still way cheaper in Canada.

While it doesn't apply in this case, it is not viable in Canada to go to a bank get a competitive bank loan so you can just go to a dealer and negotiate cash price, which greatly simplifies negotiations and gives the dealer an opportunity to beat the bank rate you got. This was very frustrating for me and the main reason I didn't get the Q7. In the US, a good negotiator can expect to get effectively 10% off MSRP at nearly any dealer, except for high demand redesigned new luxury vehicles. In Canada, it is much harder to get near that mark, because dealer margins are a lot lower.

Basically I got a loaded Sport out the door (after all fees and taxes) for less than $46,000 USD. Even if I bought the car in Oregon and paid no sales tax at all, I still would be spending $53,000 USD for the same car. And if I bought in Seattle, it would have cost me $56,500 for it, which is probably more typical.

I stand corrected, I was looking at 72mths finance rate.
I alo see in the fine prints that rates are valid from 8/3/2016 to 9/30/2016.
Good! Now go get it!!!

I financed at 1.99% for 4 years. I don't know who on Earth would ever finance a car for 6+ years unless the rate was less than 1%.
As expected, the 48 month lease rate just dropped from 4.99% to 2.99%. Now with the Employee Pricing program at an end, doing a 'Build & Price' on the Platinum at the current rate brings the monthly payment to just under what it was with the Employee Pricing and the 4.99% rate. BTW, the 48 month purchase interest rate is now 0%.
Rates are in effect until March 1st when they will likely drop again.

Peter

I just bought a 2017 Sport in Onyx loaded with moon roof, adapative cruise and other bits.

MSRP: $53,450
DISCOUNT: $ 2,000
REBATE: $2,250

MY FINAL COST = $49,200

I just bought a 2017 Sport in Onyx loaded with moon roof, adapative cruise and other bits.

MSRP: $53,450
DISCOUNT: $ 2,000
REBATE: $2,250

MY FINAL COST = $49,200
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Did you mean Shadow Black? There is no "Onyx".;)

Peter

As expected, the 48 month lease rate just dropped from 4.99% to 2.99%. Now with the Employee Pricing program at an end, doing a 'Build & Price' on the Platinum at the current rate brings the monthly payment to just under what it was with the Employee Pricing and the 4.99% rate. BTW, the 48 month purchase interest rate is now 0%.
Rates are in effect until March 1st when they will likely drop again.

Peter
The 5 year interest rate is 0% plus you get a free winter package. But purchasing is very different from leasing. The purchase price for my configuration is $4500 more, but that enters luxury tax territory which adds another $2400 in taxes which I was able to avoid with a lower price. But I would save about $2300 in interest and get a winter package worth about $1300 (steel rims). So basically it's $3000 more expensive now than during the Ford deals. Sure, I could negotiate that down a bit. BC sucks because of the luxury tax that kicks in: 1% at $55k, 2% at $56K, and 3% at $57k+. That luxury tax is on the total amount, so the most important thing is to get the price below $55k. I'm happy with my deal and it was nice that I could go in there and negotiate a bit extra -- managed to get about $1000 in free extras.

I would never lease a car. The idea of renting a car perpetually is either for people that want cars they can't really afford, people that just always want a new car every 2-4 years, or for people that can legitimately use it for business purposes. Leasing a car means paying for the maximum period of depreciation and ends up costing way more in the long run -- depending on how long you are prepared to keep a car. I usually keep my cars for at least 5 years -- and that was when I was buying two-year-old used cars. This time with a new car, I intend to keep it longer -- perhaps a full 10 years. 6 years without any car payments is really nice :)

I like to change every 3-4 years. This also either eliminates the need for an ESP or just to get a short coverage one. With the 3 year lease on the MKT I also saved over $5,000 in taxes. Leasing is becoming more popular than ever but is not for everyone. If you plan to keep a vehicle long term, purchasing is the way to go.
I look at it as a 3 or 4 year test drive. I you like it you always have to option to buy it. If you have lots of issues with it you just return it and walk away from it at lease end.:)

Back