buying a 92 but needs front end work | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

buying a 92 but needs front end work

akmarkus

Reaction score
City, State
Fairbanks, Alaska
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 xlt 4x4 4.0L
Hi all, first timer here. I'll get right to it, I am thinking of buying this 92 XLT but it needs some drive train work for it to go into 4wd.

The owner says he had it into a mechanic and the verdict was:

Internal differential noise and vibration
U-joints have play
water in differential
possible bent half shaft?

What am I up against here? It seems obvious to me to replace the u-joints, and that could definatly contribute to the vibrations. Could the diff main bearings be bad? The water thing is weird also, how could water get in there when I see no gear oil that has been leaking?

I am pretty good at changing out ford wheel bearings, drivelines and u-joints but have never dug into the diff.

Any ideas of ease of the fix would be helpful.

Great site by the way, I will keep you informed of my progress.

The X is only 1800 should I buy it?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

id skip it, unless its too good a deal to pass up... water normally means it was in a flood or some idiot went for wheeling with it and screwed it up without having taken proper care of it beforehand to prevent such issue... a bent halfshaft also worries me, it sounds truly like some idiot drove it and beat the hell out of it, i would not wnat that headache

I just called the guy and bought it. It really is in nice condition. It has a reconstructed title but he showed me the pics of the damage... right Q was hit in front an high of the wheel, the owner decided to total it cause it was only 200 difference.

It drives awesome in 2wd and the body and interior has been VERY well cared for. I'll deal with the 4wd fix, it shouldnt be too bad!!
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c380/123popeye/01011101020401030420071004f9683a978.jpg

How many miles Chief? Rust?

107000 and no rust. Has been in fairbanks all its life and they don't salt the roads here.

I picked it up friday night and she drives really nice. The 4wd works but I will need to do some minor work to it, otherwise it's good to go!

P.S. nice tires!!!

Been testing the X all weekend and really can't find anything wrong with how the 4wd operates. There is a little bit of a hum when I put it in 4 but it sounds normal, I mean any 4wd is gonna behave differently and sound/feel different compared to 2wd.

I think I got a great truck for a low cost:)!

Back