• Register Today It's free!

Whining from front end

josh93rodeo

Reaction score
City, State
Carson City, NV
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 XLT & 91 Sport
My 91 has this whining noise coming from the front end. It sounds just like bad wheel bearings and it sounds like it's coming from the wheels. So I replaced all four wheel bearings and races and repacked them. They where torqued to spec (16 in lbs for the inner, 150 ft lbs for the outer nut). Well, the noise is still there :mad: .

What else could be making this noise?

It makes a low rumbling noise at low speeds (5-25 mph) and turns into a whine at higher speeds.

Any suggestions? u-joints, tranny??? I just can't think of anything that is turning up front that could be making that noise.

Also, it has manual locking hubs that I have confirmed are unlocked(front drive axles turn freely) and not contributing to the noise (It made the same noise with the auto hubs before I swapped them out)

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is the front diff and driveshaft turning under normal conditions?

Is the front diff and driveshaft turning under normal conditions?

Well, 4wd hasn't worked since I got the truck. The PO butchered the wiring pretty good and I'm not getting power to the 4wd buttons (something I'm working on).

But the driveshaft turns smoothly when I turn it by hand.

...I am going to give a guess and ask...Have you checked your fan clutch???

...It will sound just like a wheel bearing when it is on the way out..

...I am going to give a guess and ask...Have you checked your fan clutch???

...It will sound just like a wheel bearing when it is on the way out..

The sound is consistent with the speed of the truck. I've stuck it in neutral and reved the engine while moving, and it didn't effect the noise.

I think my problem might have something to do with alignment :scratch:.
Today I tackled my radius arm bushings (they were toast). Now the same noise is a lot worse. I'm thinking it was already out of alignment and sticking those new bushings in threw it off even more.
Does this sound possible??

get an alignment and see what happens. should get an alignment anyways after replacing bushings and bearings

Check into Firestone in your area and ask about the lifetime alignment. It rocks! You can get it aligned any time you want.

Back