Buying newer explorer, need advice | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Buying newer explorer, need advice

davidrob

Reaction score
City, State
Johnstown Pa
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Sport
Hi guys, I'm considering buying a newer explorer. Although I really like mine and its nice to not have a payment, it needs balljoints, the slave cylinder needs replaced, i am losing the battle against rust and i am getting sick of the underpowered 4.0 ohv. I'll looking at the 99 to 2001 explorers and i'm wondering if there is anything i should look for and watch out for. there is a good car dealer here that always has several around those years with low mileage and varying levels of trim. Any known issues with those years, such as weak auto tranny or underpowered motor, I'm also not sure if it has the ohv or sohc motor. Does the v8 awd have also have an option for true 4x4 and 4x4 low. I like the fact that it has a v8 but i'm hestiant to get somethign without true 4x4. I like lots of power so should i go with a 2 door sohc or the 4 door awd v8. I know theres a lot of questions in there but any advice would be apprecaited.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

any advice anyone???

going out to LA for grad school. Looking to buy a 03 or 04 gt or mach 1 mustang.

jssong said:
going out to LA for grad school. Looking to buy a 03 or 04 gt or mach 1 mustang.

oh, definitely don't need 4wd out there. shouldn't snow as much as in buffalo either ;)

watch out for the sohc engines up to 2001 i believe....they had some issues with the the timing chain and what not

If you dont mind 18 MPG or less and dont wheel too much in rock country the V8 is a good choice. The Sport will be just as fast with better MPG and wheeling abilities.

Back