Bw 1350/1354 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Bw 1350/1354

bilchap

Reaction score
City, State
south mountians of NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
I been doing some digging and correct me if I'am wrong.But the only differences inthe 1350 and 1354 are the front output shaft on the 1350 has a slip yoke and the 1354 has a fixed yoke.If so, can you not take the shaft out of a 1354 electric shift and make a 1350 work.I am just grasping at straws,trying to come up with a manual t-case for my 92 ex.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I been doing some digging and correct me if I'am wrong.But the only differences inthe 1350 and 1354 are the front output shaft on the 1350 has a slip yoke and the 1354 has a fixed yoke.If so, can you not take the shaft out of a 1354 electric shift and make a 1350 work.I am just grasping at straws,trying to come up with a manual t-case for my 92 ex.

No you cant swap front output shafts between 13-50s and 13-54s. The front case half is different.

i was told that its possible to make it work, im not sure how. do some research. theres gotta be some1 on here that can tell u about it.

i was told that its possible to make it work, im not sure how. do some research. theres gotta be some1 on here that can tell u about it.

Yes, I built a 1354 manual shift out of a 13-50m and a 13-54e. You need to machine the front case of the 13-54e to use the 13-50m guts. There are 2 holes that have to be drilled in the EXACT right place, one of them has to be reamed to create a smooth bore for a seal to ride in. The other has to be tapped for a 1/8 pipe plug. Then you have to machine about 3/16" off of where the shift rod goes through, since the 13-50 case isnt as thick as the 13-54 case. Then assemble using the 13-54 front half, the 13-05 rear half, and a mix of internals. Now you have a "13-52" as I called it.

Not worth the trouble, find a 13-54 manual.

Isn't there something about 4 or 6 planetary gears too? (both will work-- but there is a difference I think)

Isn't there something about 4 or 6 planetary gears too? (both will work-- but there is a difference I think)

Yes, all 13-50s have 4 planetary gears, some 13-54s have 4 (early models), and most 13-54s have 6.

There are also atleast 3 different front mounting plates. The early ones are tapped for standard bolts, the later 13-50s and 13-54s are metric bolts. The late 13-50 and 13-54 front plate is a little beefier than the 13-50 standard bolt one. If I remember correctly, you cant swap between 4 and 6 gear without swapping front plates, high/low shift fork, and gear.

13-54s also have a plastic 2/4wheel shift fork, but the aluminum one from the 13-50 is interchangeable.

Almost on-topic: I saw a '91-'94 BroncoII in the junkyard yesterday with a manual tranny and transfer case behind the 4 cylinder engine. I was in a rush for other parts so I didn't get a chance to look it over, but was that a m50d and 1354 just sitting there waiting for me to give it a new home?

If so then I could pull if for you and you'd only have to pay for shipping. (I have no idea what that'd cost)

Almost on-topic: I saw a '91-'94 BroncoII in the junkyard yesterday with a manual tranny and transfer case behind the 4 cylinder engine. I was in a rush for other parts so I didn't get a chance to look it over, but was that a m50d and 1354 just sitting there waiting for me to give it a new home?

If so then I could pull if for you and you'd only have to pay for shipping. (I have no idea what that'd cost)

No, you didnt see a 91-94 BII.

No, you didnt see a 91-94 BII.

I don't know all that I should then. What year range was it? It was smaller than the older BII's and had the same grill/headlights as a 1st gen X, with what looked like an in-line 4 cylinder.

Does the initial question still apply in that case, as I'm still willing to pull the thing for Bil?

I don't know all that I should then. What year range was it? It was smaller than the older BII's and had the same grill/headlights as a 1st gen X, with what looked like an in-line 4 cylinder.

Does the initial question still apply in that case, as I'm still willing to pull the thing for Bil?

89-90 BIIs had the same "front end" as the GenI Ex.
I say "front end" beacuse the fenders are different. But a late model BII may have the 13-54. It should not have a 4cyl, it should be a 2.9l V6. Someone may have swapped that in.

That was probably an 89-90 BII. But a 4cylinder? I've heard of a 2.9 (common), and a 4.0 (very rare in the late 90's only) but not a 4cyl.

mabe a little on subject

snoranger
Just for giggles. 2001 Sport Trac Auto. If I make my 1354 electric a manual by removing the shift motor and can set and hold it in the neutral position. Could the truck be towed 4 wheels down, with no damage to Tcase or trans?

snoranger
Just for giggles. 2001 Sport Trac Auto. If I make my 1354 electric a manual by removing the shift motor and can set and hold it in the neutral position. Could the truck be towed 4 wheels down, with no damage to Tcase or trans?

The oil pump is driven by the rear output shaft. So as long as the rear driveshaft spins, I dont see why not. BUT Ford does not recommend it. They know more about these cases then I do.

That was probably an 89-90 BII. But a 4cylinder? I've heard of a 2.9 (common), and a 4.0 (very rare in the late 90's only) but not a 4cyl.

Rollie used to say there were diesel BII's. That would be the only 4cyl I could think of. But it would be a 1st gen.

Rollie used to say there were diesel BII's. That would be the only 4cyl I could think of. But it would be a 1st gen.

I saw a 4 cyl. diesel BII about 15 years ago. It was all original, and yes it was a GenI. I think they stopped the diesel BII around 85 or 86.

Back