BW 1354 swap to 1350 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

BW 1354 swap to 1350

jondf

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Ford Explorer Sport
I have recently swapped out my 1354 electric shift tcase to a 1350 manual shift tcase. My speedo is now reading about 10 miles per hour slower than what i am actually doing. I figure this is from the gear inside the tcase as the ranger probably had different gear ratios. Does anyone know if the one from the 1354 will work in place of the one for the 1350 so that my speedo will read correctly? Also how big of a job is this and how far do i have to tear apart the tcase? Thanks in advance for your help!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Not sure if it's compatible, but it's super easy to pull and swap to see. Follow the speedo cable to where it goes into the t-case. There's a small bolt and a wire clip that hold it in. Remove those, pull the cable out, slide off one gear and slide on the other.

The Ford part number for the electronic 13-54 speedometer drive gear in the t-case is 17285, if this helps at all... maybe you can do a cross reference.

the teeth on the speed sensor in the tcase is the same. I thought it may be the gear that drives it that is the problem. Te speeed sensor is a different part number from the 1350 to the 1354 but the gear was correct.

Oh I see what you're saying.
In that case, even if you could swap out the internal drive gear, it would be way easier to put in a different driven gear (the plastic one on the end of the cable) with a different number of teeth. They come color coded in a range of tooth counts, and you move higher or lower depending on need.
There's a chart somewhere that gives the tooth counts and corresponding colors...

i did the calculation and i would need like a 13 tooth gear which the lowest available is a 16... I guess I may just have to pull apart my 1354 and make see if i can change the internal gear.

A Speedometer shop can also make you a ratio adapter. For a while we had one on our X. That was when we ran 4.10's and 30" tires. It was too big of a change to use factory gears.

IIRc it "should" have cost $100 or so for the adapter (A friend who used to own a speedo shop built it for me).

~Mark

The thing is though, i have the factory size tire (235/75/r15) and the factory ratio, 3.23 (i believe)

Back