BWM Brown Wire Mod 3rd Gen | Page 28 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

BWM Brown Wire Mod 3rd Gen

What power switch you are going to use?

Three contact pins in power switches are : 12v inlet ,12v outlet and ground pin.

Usually you should connect 4x4 module side brown wire to your power switch inlet,then outlet wire goes to 12v relay "control voltage" pin.

Connect any 12v ACC to relay power pin and dont forget ground pin also

Then connect your " accessory " relay pin to Transfer case side brown wire.

All the 12v wires should be protected with suitable automotive fuse housing.

You should check it first with electrician..i am an a mechanic so maybe i am wrong here..

Use only automotive industrial grade splicing crimp (or another ) sleeves and heat shrink insulation.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Couple of installation photos:

Driver seat power switch:
20210711_092503.jpg

Center console 4x4 engade indicator(light on when power switch pressed):
20210711_092508.jpg

Power switch relay:
20210711_092514.jpg

What power switch you are going to use?

Three contact pins in power switches are : 12v inlet ,12v outlet and ground pin.

Usually you should connect 4x4 module side brown wire to your power switch inlet,then outlet wire goes to 12v relay "control voltage" pin.

Connect any 12v ACC to relay power pin and dont forget ground pin also

Then connect your " accessory " relay pin to Transfer case side brown wire.

All the 12v wires should be protected with suitable automotive fuse housing.

You should check it first with electrician..i am an a mechanic so maybe i am wrong here..

Use only automotive industrial grade splicing crimp (or another ) sleeves and heat shrink insulation.
So would I need to put an inline fuse in between relay going both sides of brown wire? So relay —> to fuse——->brown wire

Every 12v wire should be protected (by original fuse box or custom one) no matter what.

So would I need to put an inline fuse in between relay on both sides of brown wire?
Every 12v wire should be protected (by original fuse box or custom one) no matter what.
Ok I’m really new at electric stuff. Pretty good at everything else on my car I’ve pretty much brought my Explorer back from the dead. So how would I identify an acc to tap into when you say use any acc?
Ok so bear with me here I’m new to electric stuff. I’m good with everything else with my car but learning this. Is this diagram I made essentially what you mean? And where would I add the fuses?

Ok I’m really new at electric stuff. Pretty good at everything else on my car I’ve pretty much brought my Explorer back from the dead. So how would I identify an acc to tap into when you say use any acc?

Ok so bear with me here I’m new to electric stuff. I’m good with everything else with my car but learning this. Is this diagram I made essentially what you mean? And where would I add the fuses?
3C6B3312-B529-429F-A9EC-0CD447A8C984.jpeg

Looks ok (dont forget about suitable fuse protection)

Acc wire meaning -when car key switch on "ACC" position or even engine already started or running you will see in your multimeter gauge 12volt reading (measured between wire and grounds)

Otherwise you will see zero voltage reading.

Does
Does your 4x4 light flash when you turn your switch off (when you break the connection of the brown wire)? For some reason when I flip my switch my 4x4 light immediately starts flashing and I’ll get a code for transfer case motor circuit failure or something like that. Also strangely, I used a lighted switch so when it’s flipped on the light is on and everything is normal and when I flip it off the light goes out (and the 4x4 light flashes like stated) but then if I try to flip the switch back on it won’t light back up until I turn the car off and restart.

I see these posts are years old, it seems.. Which is actually kinda perfect.. I've had my explorer almost 4 years now, and upwards of 220xxx miles with regular maintenance by the dealership before me, and by me once I owned it.. 2004 4.0 4x4. Great vehicle and as far as reliability, I would consider anything I've had to do as maintenance, with the most serious thing being all 4 cv axles needing replaced within 2 months of the other. A front one went bad, so I replaced both, same with rear 2 months later.. Although slight timing chain chatter on start up for 2 or 3 secs sadly, but its been the same for over a year and luckily I have a wrecked explorer with a 46xxx mile motor on standby if need for drivetrain parts ever comes.
So my question.. I've been seeing this brown wire mod since I've got the truck, I've used 4wd 1 time just outta curiosity.. so seeing how old these posts are.. I'd prefer to put in 2wd and leave it.. Are there any long term negative effects if I were to leave in 2wd indefinitely...? It's been my sole hesitation for doing this.
I got no interest in burnouts, etc.. I just notice my awd kicking in and out when there's no reason and have a feeling it was the initial reason for my CV axles going out as it was winter and between snowy and clear roads, the constant in and out of awd took a toll and just weeks after my first CV axle prob occurred. Thanks, look forward to a reply.. sorry for the novel length question, I just like thoroughness when I'm answering or asking a question.

Going good except of the front tires gonna bad fast and causing a steering wheel shimmy (kinda every 20000miles or so)

Stability affected to the worst side also.RSC struggling to control the car without the front axle connected on bad,rough or wet road surfaces

I see these posts are years old, it seems.. Which is actually kinda perfect.. I've had my explorer almost 4 years now, and upwards of 220xxx miles with regular maintenance by the dealership before me, and by me once I owned it.. 2004 4.0 4x4. Great vehicle and as far as reliability, I would consider anything I've had to do as maintenance, with the most serious thing being all 4 cv axles needing replaced within 2 months of the other. A front one went bad, so I replaced both, same with rear 2 months later.. Although slight timing chain chatter on start up for 2 or 3 secs sadly, but its been the same for over a year and luckily I have a wrecked explorer with a 46xxx mile motor on standby if need for drivetrain parts ever comes.
So my question.. I've been seeing this brown wire mod since I've got the truck, I've used 4wd 1 time just outta curiosity.. so seeing how old these posts are.. I'd prefer to put in 2wd and leave it.. Are there any long term negative effects if I were to leave in 2wd indefinitely...? It's been my sole hesitation for doing this.
I got no interest in burnouts, etc.. I just notice my awd kicking in and out when there's no reason and have a feeling it was the initial reason for my CV axles going out as it was winter and between snowy and clear roads, the constant in and out of awd took a toll and just weeks after my first CV axle prob occurred. Thanks, look forward to a reply.. sorry for the novel length question, I just like thoroughness when I'm answering or asking a question.
i dont think theres a doenside to lesving it in 2wd unless as you menyioned you dont do burnouts or sliding round. it should be fine to leave in 2wd indefinitely, at lesst in my 2g

I've always just left mine in Auto with maybe a thought of using 4-High or Low maybe 2 times in the 20 years I've had it.

Do I have this figured right? Thanks.
0130e37d4506316e0cfc0b3451cf8d0e.png

I had it right. Finished it, love it. 😄
5cde39cd5e8f97e44ecd9b5219f79e58.png

I like the switch. :chug:

Back