• Register Today It's free!

BYPASS Trans Cooler?

YourNameHere

Reaction score
City, State
Haverhill, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Explorer
I have about 6-8 small leaks on my trans cooler lines. I've been chasing them all over, and new ones keep popping up.
My question is, can I just cut the 2 lines by the trans and connect the 2 lines via the proper grade hose?
Will that work?
I honestly only drive it 30 miles at the most each time I drive it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes!

I have added a high performance aux tranny cooler inline with the stock tranny cooler and bypassed the lines through the radiator. (leaking radiator tranny line connector)

I also installed (modified) a temp gauge to read the temp of the ATF through the lines.

I have driven and towed without a problem. Good Luck!

So you've replaced the lines but new leaks develop somehow? Thats strange.

I would only bypass is for a short quick trip (a slow trip to keep the RPMs low), but I wouldn't drive it like that normally.

Guys, i drive this truck 20-30 miles at once. Back and forth to work and that's it. No towing, no offroading etc. It's just for work during the winter while the other car harbinates.
The trans lines have A LOT of leaks. What i want to do is just follow the lines back to trans and cut them off with about 6 inches left coming from the trans. Where the lines would be cut, i'd just run a piece of trans grade hose from one line to the other.
There are LOTS of vehicles out there without trans coolers. Does this specific trans REALLY need it?

Guys, i drive this truck 20-30 miles at once. Back and forth to work and that's it. No towing, no offroading etc. It's just for work during the winter while the other car harbinates.
The trans lines have A LOT of leaks. What i want to do is just follow the lines back to trans and cut them off with about 6 inches left coming from the trans. Where the lines would be cut, i'd just run a piece of trans grade hose from one line to the other.
There are LOTS of vehicles out there without trans coolers. Does this specific trans REALLY need it?

Yes, it does. Without a cooler it WILL overheat eventually and will fail. These transmissions are weak, you have to treat them well, or they won't last.

Do keep the extra cooler in line.

Is it the steel lines which are rusting/leaking? I need new lines for my 98 because of rust, but they don't leak yet. If that's the case then try to make new lines with steel fuel lines from a parts store. Use 3/8" lines, not 5/16" sizes.

What "extra cooler"?
How long will the trans last without the cooler and lines? I just need it for this winter.

All of the trucks have a cooler in the radiator, never bypass that. Most have an extra cooler in front of the AC condenser, keep that also if it has it.

If you are talking about not having any cooler, the trans will die very fast, in any weather.

Back