Solved - Bypassing the compressor with a smaller belt. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Solved Bypassing the compressor with a smaller belt.

Prefix for threads that contain problems that have been resolved, and there is an answer within the thread.

mekelly

Reaction score
City, State
Marietta, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Ford Explorer XLT
Coming home tonight (thankfully in the neighborhood), I hear a 'belt' noise coming from the engine and smell rubber burning.

Pulled into the driveway, shut the car off and opened the hood. Smoke coming from the compressor clutch and belt.

The compressor wasn't on but it appears to have locked up and the belt was being dragged over it. I will confirm that this is the problem tomorrow when it's light outside and the rain stops!

I know they sell belts that bypass the compressor. Does anyone know if the routing is the same on the other accessories, you just leave the compressor out of the loop? Diagram?

It's a 1994 Explorer.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This happened to my 1995 van a while ago. I installed a belt that was smaller for a non A/C equipped engine. The routing is the same. They sell an idler pulley to replace the compressor if you want to keep the same belt & routing but it's a waste of time, money, and space. Just use a smaller belt.

All you need is an 80 1/2" belt and you are good to go. Route it like you normally would, just don't go over the AC compressor. Problem solved. Check out your idler and tensioner pulleys while you are at it.

Agree with everyone else. I live in the rust belt lol. My steel lines user the hood for my ac are in such bad shape that you can actually see the pin holes in the lines. So I just bought a belt for a non ac engine and everything is great. Be lucky that the belt didn't break. I've seen that happen before. When the belt broke it took out the tensioner pulley and was a pita to replace because it bent the pulley over itself and I had to bend it back into place before I could remove it.

Got the new (shorter) belt on in the rain this morning, bypassing the compressor. Running great!

Turns out the belt routing diagram under the hood shows bypassing the compressor as well as the regular routing. Couldn't see it in the dark last night!

Glad it's the end of December and not July. Defroster barely works with no compressor though!

Thanks!

Can someone please post a belt part number. Thanks

A bought a cheapie from Advanced Auto, Part No. 805K6 as I am going to replace it once I replace the compressor (and accumulator and orifice tube)!

With the 20% discount code, it was under $20.

Hi wondering if the part #805K6 is for the 5.0 or 4.0 engine. I have a 2008 with the 4.0. The compressor bolts snapped off, not sure why but i need to bypass until i find a bracket or can tap them out. I'm not sure if anyone will see this on a solved thread but tho I'd check. Thanks

I know that the 805k6 belt is listed as 80-1/2” which is the correct length for bypassing the AC on a 4.0L ohv.
Not sure if that size will fit a 5.0L ohv or not.

Thanks I'll give it a try on the 08
I have the 4.0 so unless they did some design mods that changed the set up it might do the trick.

Back