Cabin Air Pressure and Vibrations | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Cabin Air Pressure and Vibrations

That is correct Texas. At the time it had only been in the shop a couple of days because they did not have the parts to fix it. It has now been in the shop since the 8th of June though.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes I contacted Ford customer service and they opened a case. Ford denied under my states lemon law because it had not yet met the criteria

@Back2Ford

Just sayin' - State of TX would be the 1st to deny your case if they felt you didn't meet the criteria to file a case :dunno:

" The Texas Lemon Law is a state law administered by the Texas Department of Motor Vehicles that helps consumers who buy or lease new motor vehicles and have repeated problems getting their vehicles properly repaired under the manufacturer's original warranty"

TX DMV .GOV Consumer Protection LINK: TXDMV.GOV - Lemon Law

I am having that issue with my vehicle and I believe it is related to something out of balance. I just returned from a 2,700 mile trip and at highway speed (70-80 mph) the vehicle has a shake to it like either a wheel(s) is out of balance or a driveshaft. My wife and I had headaches the whole trip that went away a few hours after we would be out of the vehicle each day. If you or a passenger lay your phone on your leg with the screen facing up you can see it the screen reflection move and I do not mean from bumps in the road.
I’ve noticed the vibration issue as well. I had a water bottle in the front cup holder and saw the water vibrating pretty noticeably at idle and through various speeds. Also, you can hear it when there’s a passenger speaking in the second row—there’s a pretty distinct vibration in their voice, like going down a bumpy road. Swapped drivers just to make sure it wasn’t a reaction to my testing the 0-60 and 60-0 times ;)

I test drove an XLT that had this issue. Really bad wind buffeting with everything closed. My ST does not have this issue at all.

I test drove an XLT that had this issue. Really bad wind buffeting with everything closed. My ST does not have this issue at all.
Did the XLT have the panoramic moon roof?

So, just picked up our XLT from the dealer after they repaired some of the outer body panels/molding. The hope was that maybe the loose molding was causing vibrations or changing the airflow enough to cause the fluttering sounds at speed. Where to begin...

Warning: slight thread jack ahead

Bottom line up front: the dealer couldn’t replace all of the paneling issues due to some some parts coming broken on arrival, and the sound remains. But wait, there’s more: they had to drop the headliner to repair the luggage railings, and upon inspecting the vehicle, I noticed a large amount of grease/dirt all over the (tan) headliner from the mechanic. Also, I noticed the passenger A-pillar was not securely fastened, and was barely hanging on by one or two clips.

Of course the service manager has already departed for the day, and the remaining managers won’t help walk through the vehicle with me since they’re closing up. “Just go see the cashier, and everything you need will be on the paperwork,” they said. I grab the sales manager (senior guy there at the time), and walk him through what I found. He offers to clean up the spots the next morning, but he’ll need the car all day. No dice, since I’m in the process of moving across the country and need the vehicle to move stuff into storage.

Besides, that only fixes the stains, what about the A-pillar? Well, they can see me on Monday. Downside is that’s when I was supposed to hit the road. Fortunately, their detail guy is still around and he’s able to get 90% of the spotting off the headliner right then and there. After some finagling, I was able to get the molding to snap back into place as well. Ok, no problem, we can still meet all our timelines.

Fast forward to this afternoon where my wife hops into the driver’s seat. She goes to adjust the seatbelt height (as she does every time she’s gotten into the car), and the slider becomes a garbled mess. It doesn’t go up or down smoothly, won’t secure in any particular position, and locks the seatbelt tensioner unless it’s at the highest position. I check the passenger side and same issue. The plastic around the B-pillar was removed to bring the headliner down during the repairs. So guess who now gets go back to the shop on Monday and lose a day of moving because of shoddy workmanship?

As you might imagine, I am done with this particular dealer—even if I wasn’t moving across the country. We’ve used them for years, and have purchased several vehicles from them, but we ended up getting this Explorer from another dealer in order to get all of the options/pricing we were looking for. Unfortunately, due to military being restricted to our local areas during COVID, I had to purchase the vehicle remotely and have it delivered. When I brought the car to my local dealer for warranty repairs, my service manager gave me a hard time about not taking it to the dealer who I bought it from. I explained that wasn’t happening since I couldn’t go outside of 50 miles of my duty station, and he just rolled his eyes.

Throughout this work order, I’ve expressed that I understood we wouldn’t get a perfect solution to everything. Between my timeline for moving, parts backorders, and their workload, I was just hoping to get some of the easier items fixed and document the rest within my first few weeks of ownership. However, this dealer’s service department has been very unhelpful, slow to communicate, and provided terrible work when it was all said and done.

Outside of calling Ford’s central customer service hotline or the regional office, any recommendations on how to go forward? I’m now losing out on lodging reservations, and eating into my allotted travel time before having to use leave days for my move.
/thread jack

As far as ordering it remotely, did you see if your dealership could do a trade with the other dealer to bring that Explorer in for you? That is something that is not uncommon. In fact, I obtained my last two vehicles that way. Then you'd be having warranty work done by the dealer you bought it from and things would have gone more smoothly. Not that this is an excuse for your experience regarding their work. Have you thought about contacting a dealer in the area where you are going and explaining the situation you are in and if there is anything that they would be willing to do to help out?

Peter

A real shame dealers do this. I could understand giving priority to the customers that bought from them but the quality of work should be the same regardless. They are still getting paid the same money from Ford regardless of where they bought it.

I have never bought from my servicing dealer yet Id give them an B+ for their work over the past 13 years across 4 vehicles.

As far as ordering it remotely, did you see if your dealership could do a trade with the other dealer to bring that Explorer in for you? That is something that is not uncommon. In fact, I obtained my last two vehicles that way. Then you'd be having warranty work done by the dealer you bought it from and things would have gone more smoothly. Not that this is an excuse for your experience regarding their work. Have you thought about contacting a dealer in the area where you are going and explaining the situation you are in and if there is anything that they would be willing to do to help out?

Peter
We gave our local dealer every chance to get the sale. I found several cars between 100-800 miles away, sent them the VIN numbers and asked what they could do. In the end, the best they were willing to offer was $500 off MSRP :rolleyes:. Instead, I was able to negotiate a sale with another dealer for nearly $1000 below invoice. More than paid for the $500 shipping fee. I took that offer back to the local dealer, and they told me to just go with the other guy.

When a
We gave our local dealer every chance to get the sale. I found several cars between 100-800 miles away, sent them the VIN numbers and asked what they could do. In the end, the best they were willing to offer was $500 off MSRP :rolleyes:. Instead, I was able to negotiate a sale with another dealer for nearly $1000 below invoice. More than paid for the $500 shipping fee. I took that offer back to the local dealer, and they told me to just go with the other guy.

When a dealer gets a vehicle from another, they lose the hold back which means invoice is the cost of your local dealers. The dealer that originally got the vehicle in gets that money regardless of if it was traded to a different dealer. Thats why the other one was willing to go below invoice, they have hold back and floor plan assistance to use for profit where your local doesnt.

That’s what I figured, and totally makes sense. They weren’t even budging on the vehicles they had on their floor with only 75% of the options I was looking for, though, so I went elsewhere. The main issue was more the treatment from the service department about having to do warranty work on a vehicle purchased from another dealer, and giving me grief for not having bought it from them.

Not having bought it there doesn't excuse the treatment. I believe most dealerships make their money on after-sales maintenance and services. They should have welcomed a new customer. My dealer even provides loaners to customers who bring their non-Ford/Lincoln vehicles in for service.

Peter

1,500 miles into our cross country move and just got a P0299 code for “turbo underboost”. Was able to get into a dealer in Winslow, AZ before they closed and scanned the code. Unfortunately, won’t be able to get more details for a few more days since they’re closed over the weekend.

Issue came up while cruising at 60-65 mph. Got the yellow “wrench” warning light and noticeable decrease in power. Pulled over, cooled down for 5-10 mins with engine off. Re-started the car and wrench was gone but Check Engine light was on. Able to limp to the dealer at 55-60 mph, but definitely didn’t have any turbo assistance.

Attachments

• 01814328-04E5-4A43-A10E-98B8FE9567F1.jpeg
    01814328-04E5-4A43-A10E-98B8FE9567F1.jpeg
    160.2 KB · Views: 68

Back