• Register Today It's free!

Cabin Air Pressure and Vibrations

red_stang65

Reaction score
City, State
CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer XLT
Just got our new 2020 XLT with moon roof last week. We upgraded from a 2010 Edge that also had the panoramic moon roof.

In the past week of driving, we’ve noticed a decent amount of “fluttering” in the cabin air pressure regardless of whether the windows are up, down, venting the moon roof, or opening/closing of the moon roof shade. I’m thinking there’s an air leak somewhere, but was wondering if anyone else has noticed a similar sensation. The Edge was dead quiet with everything closed, and never had any moon roof leaks in over 115,000 miles.

I’ve also noticed that the second row driver-side passenger ceiling vent puts out a lot less air than any other vents. We’ve opened and closed all the other vents, but that one consistently feels weak. Thinking there may be a block somewhere as well. Thanks for any help and insight you all might have.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The moonroof issue is not normal. There shouldn't be any noise or air leaks. In fact you shouldn't even notice that it's there. In regards to the vent, I wonder if it might be a connection issue. Have the dealer check the issues. Have you had it for more than 7 days?

Peter

Good to know, thanks. It’s been less than 7 days, but we had to get it shipped from the dealer. Local dealers didn’t have what we were looking for, so we had to open our search area.

We’ve got a few other cosmetic issues that need fixing: the plastic molding from the luggage racks is coming up from the front window, and the right rear passenger door molding has some poor fitment. I’ve shown them to the dealer we purchased from and they told me they can coordinate with another Ford dealer to cover the repairs.

Attachments

• 2561EA75-CF28-40AB-A46D-DC498A622A01.jpeg
    2561EA75-CF28-40AB-A46D-DC498A622A01.jpeg
    115.2 KB · Views: 159
  • B81B988E-0A64-4045-B46F-9C93AF804EE8.jpeg
    B81B988E-0A64-4045-B46F-9C93AF804EE8.jpeg
    91.9 KB · Views: 162
  • 05E9533A-6E65-4237-B4B3-058645307ACD.jpeg
    05E9533A-6E65-4237-B4B3-058645307ACD.jpeg
    49.5 KB · Views: 152

Good to know, thanks. It’s been less than 7 days, but we had to get it shipped from the dealer. Local dealers didn’t have what we were looking for, so we had to open our search area.

We’ve got a few other cosmetic issues that need fixing: the plastic molding from the luggage racks is coming up from the front window, and the right rear passenger door molding has some poor fitment. I’ve shown them to the dealer we purchased from and they told me they can coordinate with another Ford dealer to cover the repairs.
From your Warranty Guide.
CHECK YOUR VEHICLE
We try to check vehicles carefully at the assembly plant and the
dealership, and we usually correct any damage to paint, sheet metal,
upholstery, or other appearance items. But occasionally something may
slip past us, and a customer may find that a vehicle was damaged before
he or she took delivery. If you see any damage when you receive your

vehicle, notify your dealership within one week.

This is why I asked. I highlighted the important part.

Peter

My rear AC flutters when the blower is turned up high. I have to leave the blower speed on lower setting to avoid flutter sound.

Maybe you are hearing something similar? Have you messed with the rear blower speed to see if it makes a difference in the noise you are hearing?

We tested it multiple configurations: the a/c from off to high, windows up, down, mixed, moon roof shade open, closed, or halfway, and the moon roof venting or closed. The fluttering was only slightly better with the shade halfway open, strangely. Got an appointment for tomorrow, so hopefully we’ll get some feedback soon.

There was at least one report on here of cabin pressure fluctuations similar to what you are describing. If I recall, the problem was with the subwoofer flaking out. Maybe check that out.

I am having that issue with my vehicle and I believe it is related to something out of balance. I just returned from a 2,700 mile trip and at highway speed (70-80 mph) the vehicle has a shake to it like either a wheel(s) is out of balance or a driveshaft. My wife and I had headaches the whole trip that went away a few hours after we would be out of the vehicle each day. If you or a passenger lay your phone on your leg with the screen facing up you can see it the screen reflection move and I do not mean from bumps in the road.

I think I'd get the alignment checked and then get a wheel balance just to confirm that those aren't the issue.

Peter

Well mine has been in the dealership for about 3 weeks to have the engine fixed, transmission fixed, brakes that went out while driving twice, interior being replaced due to being broken and damaged at the factory, etc. There are a lot more issues with mine and I do not want to bore anyone plus it makes my blood boil! 🤬

Back2Ford... Did you try to get them to take the car back?

Yes I contacted Ford customer service and they opened a case. Ford denied under my states lemon law because it had not yet met the criteria and they denied a Ford goodwill buyback because at the time it was as they said "mostly cosmetic" . My engine, transmission and brake issues did not pop up until I went on a long trip. We had owned the ST since February 29th and up until June 22nd we only drove like 350 miles due to covid and basically complete displeasure in the vehicle. I still supposedly have an open case with Ford but have not heard from them since May 19th even after I contacted them 4 times. The dealership was waiting on the whole new interior to be shipped to them from March 9th until May 18th and they would not address any issues prior because they wanted to do all repairs and diagnostics all at once. I was supposed to get a loaner for my trip but because it was going to be almost 3,000 miles, they would not give me a loaner that long and there were no rental vehicles available for my trip since Ford demanded it be a Ford rental vehicle, so I had to take my ST. Sorry this is so long but it has been a nightmare.

Yes I contacted Ford customer service and they opened a case. Ford denied under my states lemon law because it had not yet met the criteria and they denied a Ford goodwill buyback because at the time it was as they said "mostly cosmetic" . My engine, transmission and brake issues did not pop up until I went on a long trip. We had owned the ST since February 29th and up until June 22nd we only drove like 350 miles due to covid and basically complete displeasure in the vehicle. I still supposedly have an open case with Ford but have not heard from them since May 19th even after I contacted them 4 times. The dealership was waiting on the whole new interior to be shipped to them from March 9th until May 18th and they would not address any issues prior because they wanted to do all repairs and diagnostics all at once. I was supposed to get a loaner for my trip but because it was going to be almost 3,000 miles, they would not give me a loaner that long and there were no rental vehicles available for my trip since Ford demanded it be a Ford rental vehicle, so I had to take my ST. Sorry this is so long but it has been a nightmare.

When you buy a new vehicle, you have one week to test it out and if there is something wrong, dealer is suppose to fix it.

I did not see anything like that in the purchase contract and my state does not have any such clause. The only fix would have been to return the vehicle which I tried to do.

When you buy a new vehicle, you have one week to test it out and if there is something wrong, dealer is suppose to fix it.

That is for damage, not defects. Defects are 3yr/36k and 5yr/60k.

I did not see anything like that in the purchase contract and my state does not have any such clause. The only fix would have been to return the vehicle which I tried to do.
This is from your Warranty Guide. The one that very few owners read. ;) The damage caused to the interior by the factory would have come under this.

CHECK YOUR VEHICLE
We try to check vehicles carefully at the assembly plant and the
dealership, and we usually correct any damage to paint, sheet metal,
upholstery, or other appearance items. But occasionally something may
slip past us, and a customer may find that a vehicle was damaged before
he or she took delivery. If you see any damage when you receive your
vehicle, notify your dealership within one week.

Peter

Well I did notify them less than a week after I purchased it and I told them I wanted to turn the vehicle back in but obviously I was told no. I did read most of the manual but must not have read that. :banghead: I later found out through a leaked email from Ford to the dealership that my vehicle was damaged at the factory and required extensive repairs that required the removal of and reinstall of the interior. When they put everything back in they broke, bent or otherwise damaged all the interior panels, dash and headliner. Lesson learned don't take a vehicle in dim light.

Well I did notify them less than a week after I purchased it and I told them I wanted to turn the vehicle back in but obviously I was told no. I did read most of the manual but must not have read that. :banghead: I later found out through a leaked email from Ford to the dealership that my vehicle was damaged at the factory and required extensive repairs that required the removal of and reinstall of the interior. When they put everything back in they broke, bent or otherwise damaged all the interior panels, dash and headliner. Lesson learned don't take a vehicle in dim light.
That quote I copied was from the Warranty Guide you should also have. It is not in the Owner's Manual.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back