Cabin fuse box location / access | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Cabin fuse box location / access

Hello, all,

Has anyone had the distinct pleasure of trying to replace any fuses in the fuse block located on the driver side of a 5th Gen EX? Not the convenient one in the engine compartment. It is located in the most inaccessible location that the Ford engineers could have come up with. You have to literally lay down on your back on the floorboard fitting yourself underneath the brake pedal while leaving your arms and hands free to hold a flashlight to see the fuses. Then you have to find the fuse you want to replace (after memorizing the locations), pull it out with the handy fuse puller which is also located in this lovely area and then hopefully get the new one in the right direction to put it in. If you have been successful, can you share your experience and if you found a way to do with this without turning yourself into a pretzel? I am probably going to hire a circus performer contortionist to do this...:banghead: Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

^^ Your thread was merged with this one. As you can see, you are not alone.

Peter

Interesting. I haven't even been able to see the thing yet. And MFT just went haywire this afternoon and won't do any voice commands.

I called the customer service line and they guy didn't even know where the fuse panel was. Going to go lay in the wheel well and see if I can even see the thing. I'm wondering if you pull the two screws on the apron under the steering wheel if you can then at least see the thing?

----------------------------------------------------------------------
p.s.

OK - so I found it. You have to lay on your back with your shoulders on the driver's side floor and look up above the parking brake foot pedal. Slide the driver's seat all the way back. Take your favorite flashlight along. The fuseblock is behind a plastic cover and sits horizonally along the sidewall. In the cover is a little pair of of plastic "tweezers" which you will need to get the fuse out/in.

And while you are laying there, enjoy the feeling of the driver's seat rail in your back!!!:mad:
I am going to REMOVE the driver's seat, clean all the rust and spray paint it and THEN get to the fuse panel and see how to get the SOB to move. I am so pissed at this whole scenario of trying to install the fog lights. No wonder Ford mechanics say they can't do it!

If you people think just changing a fuse is bad; I have to find a plug, then find two wires and remove the pins, insert 2 new pins with wires that go to the fog light system! I need to figure out how to remove that entire panel. I will leave the damn thing hanging as long as it doesn't get in the way of any peddles! Uggggg!

It would be dramatic and false if I were speaking of the negative side of the battery cable. However, the quote I was refering to in my post was this one.

Hence the drama and correctness of my post.

I do however agree with the negative side. I personally wouldn't do it. But then again, I have all kinds of free time to run back and forth to the dealers. They have excellent coffee and top notch service. I love going to my dealer (sarcasm)
But... do they have free donuts in the morning???

I would LOVE to know how to just remove this from its mount.
Another stupid idea from FORD.
They could have put it by the passenger foot area. Dumb-*****!

IMG_1312.JPG IMG_1300.JPG IMG_1310.JPG

I would LOVE to know how to just remove this from its mount.
Another stupid idea from FORD.
They could have put it by the passenger foot area. Dumb-*****!

View attachment 431171 View attachment 431172 View attachment 431173
Pre Forscan I was determined to pull whatever fuse the dome lights was. Doesn't help the 19 fuses don't match up to anything to include the book I got from Auto Zone. I just guessed till I found a fuse for my hard wire camera dash install.

Pre Forscan I was determined to pull whatever fuse the dome lights was. Doesn't help the 19 fuses don't match up to anything to include the book I got from Auto Zone. I just guessed till I found a fuse for my hard wire camera dash install.
The fuse layout is in the Owner's Manual.

Peter

Back