Calling B2 gurus

JMan689

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Downers Grove, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
'14 Focus ST

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Look around all the body mounts to check for rust around the where the body meets the mounts. Salted roads can really cause some damage here. I had to add some plate on mine.

Ask how he opens his rear door, if at all. Looks like he removed the handle and spare tire carrier.

Bronco II Purchase ?

I have imported 3 BII's from South Carolina in the last 3 years. These vehicles body wise, are just like new vehicles. I would never consider one that came from north of Charlotte, NC. Anything north of that is probably salt damaged.

If you can find one from around Greenville/Spartenburg SC that has never been north, you might find a very nice vehicle with original paint and interior. Nice dry and not too warm of an envirionment to find a good BII

Bill

Ended up just driving out to where the marker was placed on the map in the craigslist ad. Looked good, almost no rust, took it for a test drive and everything worked fine and dandy, except the ac. Made a deal on it, and started driving it home. Filled it up with gas, got about 4 miles from the gas station and it started to reek of gas. Awesome, still not a HUGE issue, just more of a pita. Then once the engine was sufficiently warmed up I found out at idle the oil pressure just drops off the map. :mad: Not a happy camper, going to try and figure out whats wrong with it and if its a serious issue like having to replace the engine, I'm just going to sell it and hopefully make my money back. Aside from those two issues it's in really good shape, I think that is what upsets me the most.

As for the hatch, spare tire carrier was gone when the guy bought it, the owner before him had "problems" with it.
And the handle broke off so he showed me how he opens it with a screw driver..

Sorry to hear about you problem with the BII. I flew to Greenville, SC to pick up my 1989 on April 1. My wife wanted to visit the Biltmore Estate in Asheville, NC - which is only about 85 miles from Greenville.

Three miles short of reaching our hotel in Asheville, the fuel pump quit on I26 in heavy traffic. We were able to get the BII flatbedded to a repair garage and had it back the next afternoon. Since it is an in-the-tank pump on an 89, it cost $350 - which I thought fair for a pump, dropping the tank and a new filter.

The next day we went to Biltmore and toured. Left the morning of April 3 and drove back about 800 miles in 13 hours 15 minute with two fuel stops. The BII ran great after the pump.

Hope you can resolve your problem, oil pumps are a known problem with these vehicles. You might have caught yours early enough.

Good luck!

Bill

Thanks Bill, oil is fine, so I'm ruling out cracked heads, so either bad valve train or oil pump. :hammer: And I'm reading that the oil pump is a pita to replace in these, and since I don't have a cherry picker or really any room to do this other than the driveway I guess I'll get a quote on a 4.0 swap from the place that did the swap on my Contour and decide from there whether to fix or sell.

Before you do a 4.0 swap, you might consider just pulling the 2.9 and having somebody look at it. It could be perfectly fine, just an oil pump replacement.

The 4.0 swap is a very nice idea, it has been discussed on this thread many times. I believe it requires a 4.0 from a 91-92 Ranger with 4WD. The ECM and wiring match I'm told and the BII running gear will accept it.

If you want to retain a 2.9, and yours isn't good, I suggest a Jasper rebuilt 2.9. We have that in our 90 BII, it is a great rebuilt engine.

Bill

Well looks like the temp gauge wasn't working, and the shop couldn't find anything wrong with the oil system or the engine itself. So my guess is the engine got too hot and the oil lost viscosity causing low oil pressure :dunno:

Anyway they are replacing the gas tank for me and looks like I'll be keeping it at least for awhile.

Oh, are the handles that open the hatch on these (on the hatches where the glass can be opened separate, like the explorer) the same as the handle on the back of the explorer? Because I can't seem to find a handle anywhere online, hoping I can just order and use one for the explorers.

Hatch Handle

Out of the four BII's that we own, only one has the flip up rear glass, the others are fixed glass models. I believe this was a fairly rare option, but very handy if you have one.

You might check early 2-door Explorers for a handle, 91-94 Explorer Sport models. They may have some commonality. Wrecking yards are also a possibility - but sadly these vehicles (BII's) head for the crusher almost as soon as they arrive.

Good luck - it is a great option to have when it is useful.

Bill

I have an '88 BII that has a donut spare mounted inside. No rack or hinges outside the vehicle. Also the glass doesn't lift separately. It is the only one in these parts built like that ??

BII Hatch Options

Jack,

My son and I have 4 BII's - two 88's an 89 and a 90. All of them were built originally with the outside mount spare tire. We have converted all four of them to the inside spare, or no spare in two cases.

The rear hatches we obtained are the following: one with the "flip up" glass, one with the fixed glass, but with a glass defogger built into the window, wiper, washer. And two with the fixed glass.

The one I drive daily has the "flip up glass". Very handy item, easy to stow small items in the rear without opening the hatch.

I have looked at the sales brochures for all three years. It looks like all three options were available either in packages or individually. The only one I can't determine is that if a wiper/washer/defogger was ever available with the two way "flip up glass".

Hopefully others can let us know, I would like to know also.

Where you are located, you might be able to find some at a "pull-a-part" before it is crushed. In the northeast, sadly there are none of these vehicles remaining.

Bill

How do I get thos center console off? Trying to clean the interior and I'm at a loss. It feels like there's a bolt under te cup holder up I can't get to it.

Back