• Register Today It's free!

Can I full time lock my auto hubs

tom819800

Reaction score
City, State
Newfane ,NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Explorer
I have a 91 explorer with auto hubs. I'm currenty stuck in the middle of a field because my auto hubs went. My axles are turning. I took the hubs apart all looks good. I figure they are slipping somehow.

Is it possible in anyway to permanently lock those auto hubs in 4x4. Epoxy, drill a hole with a pin, weld something..anything really, but permanent? I really dont want to buy manual hubs. I just replaced the entire clutch system, entire braking system, entire exhaust system, and all new tires. The bank is empty for this poor truck. I have just about any tool I need. This truck wont ever see pavement again, but it will keep on drivin.

Help me out here guys.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

welcome aboard. I've never heard of anyone really doing anything along those lines. The auto hubs are much weaker than the manual hubs. I suspect the case would crack prior to any success

Check the for sale boards here, Ryan1 is sellng a set of manuals with the nut kit for a good deal.

Attachments

• exploded hub.jpg
    exploded hub.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 745

I was thinking the hubs might end up exploding, but I have several sets of bad auto hubs. They are easy enough to change. I just need some way to lock them up. It would be sweet if there was a way. Thanks for the advice

Thanks again guys,

I will be patient and see if I get any other responses to my question before going with the conversion....It sure would be nice since I have four sets of auto hubs... even nicer would be a rebuild kit for the auto hubs...... now I figure i'm just dreaming...

You can rebuild them, there were a few people who rebuilt and sold them awhile ago. But with all that money your gonna spend to keep rebuilding the autos, you'd be better off buying a set of manuals. And there cheaper than a set of brand new auto hubs

...I was looking for that thread the other day but I couldn't find it...I think it started as a "WTB Broke Auto Hubs"...:scratch:

Hmmmmmmm sounds like something I want to read up on ( rebuild ). I have looked in the past for a place to buy the parts. Everyone said they werent rebuildable. All the metal parts are fine, i'm thinking that the plasic parts are worn out. I guess i will keep looking.
Thanks again

Yea theres a snap ring in there that holds the internal assembly in the hub, remove that and everything comes out, I dont remember if he was getting the rebuild parts new or using parts from old hubs to make a few good ones.

Nice..........Kris Guilbeaux has been buying the broken auto hubs for 30 bucks and machinig the internals, but it seems that the last reply to his post was in 2006. ....... I sent him a message and waiting for a reply.

ya know what kills me? These plastic parts are so simple and easy to change. I bet theres more to the little toys my kids get out of the gum ball machines... and I cant find no direct rebuilt kits for them......i love FORD :)

You can rebuild them, there were a few people who rebuilt and sold them awhile ago. But with all that money your gonna spend to keep rebuilding the autos, you'd be better off buying a set of manuals. And there cheaper than a set of brand new auto hubs
Exactly what I was going to say, find a set of used manual hubs, never be let down again and never have to rebuild them unless you do hardcore wheeling but that doesn't sound like your rig..

Yea before I got a good deal on my manual hubs I kept a supply of the auto hub cams I'd get from the junkyard but that got old having to keep replacing them and that was with 31s, I now have 35s and manuals and have'nt had any problems out of em except for mud getting in the hub and bearings because I'm missing the o-ring that goes between the hub and rotor.

...a good bead of silicone could keep that from happening and it also holds the hub on while you are swapping tires...:thumbsup:

...a good bead of silicone could keep that from happening and it also holds the hub on while you are swapping tires...:thumbsup:

Thats a good idea thanks tbars :), I was about to go to the junkyard and see if I could find some of the O-rings:thumbdwn:

Kris said he hasnt done any hubs for two years now. Yeah my truck is total stock but its still fun :):) Engine is still nice and strong. I think it only has 90,000 miles on it. Full time winter truck though so the salt has had its way with it.
As parts break i'll get into some meaner parts. I would love to lift her up and put full posi in her. Nothing but muddy fields and mud pits aroud here not even deep ones.

I guess im off to the junk yard to look for a set of manuals. wish I had the money for a new set.

Thanks alot for all your help guys I'll post a pic next time I go visit her. lol

You can also check the classified section here and at therangerstation.com for some used man hubs, thats where I got mine from. Also you can only use the ones from newer(1990's and up I believe) rangers and first gen explorers as the others have the dana 38 axle and those hubs wont fit your dana 35.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ah haaaaaaa I ended up finding a nice new yes newmanual locking hubs in the junkyard for 50 bucks :cool:........"they are sweet" I keep getting stuck in this swampy old state ditch I keep running. I call it Death Valley...... So now i'm looking for a winch... bigger tires would be nice. Any one know a Good place to salvage a winch? I havent tried the junk yard yet.

Oh yeah the pictures I took with my phone didnt turn out so well. I'm sure I will be getting stuck again reall soon ... happy trails

Back