Can I hook fuel pump up direct? Permanently? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Can I hook fuel pump up direct? Permanently?

i had the same problem on my ranger it happend to be an electrical problem so what i did was just run wires from the fuel pump to the switch and battery and worked just fine after that..

I've done this, but it don't seem right. It will run ok, but is very hard to start. I usually have to crank it a bit, stop, crank a bit, stop, crank some more till it finally starts. But, if I just start cranking, I can crank till the cows come home and it'll never start. Has to have those breaks in between cranks. Dunno why. May be unrelated though.....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

All the relays in the distribution box are the same spec, so you can swap with what you have now. These relays CAN be intermittent. I had a blower relay that wouldn't work for the first 5 minutes it was on, then voila! It started working. It died completely later on.

The junkyard relay was either faulty or your pump may be drawing more amperage than it should. There is a fuse on that circuit (#22 in the distribution box, which is one of the tiny ones from my memory, could be wrong).

Or, you may be getting bad contact from the relay to the socket. Look at the socket contacts for any heat deformed pastic or discolored contact material.

Going back to the original topic question: Yes, you can wire the pump to be on with the key. I think the easiest way would be to put a jumper where the relay is now. At least then, you still have the benefit of the existing fuse and impact shutoff. If you leave the key on with the engine off, you may experience flooding if your injectors leak.

I didn't read everything going back, but you might put a pressure gauge on this... might enlighten.

I'll second RoadRunners post. Relay's are only part of it, the connector can cause problems. For example, my relay and connector that turns off the A/C at full throttle is bad.. it works when it wants to, or after I wiggle the connector.. then it quits again. I bypassed that relay with a piece of wire, and life is good.

Add a jumper between the two relay connector terminals that have the bigger slots and see what you get.

ok, I got it figured out....

Start from beginning, I cut the wire coming from the inertia switch and hooked it directly to fuse block. Later, I put a rocker switch in between. Then, I cut the wire going to inertia switch and crimped a male spade connector to it, allowing me to disconnect the wire from the rocker switch and plug it into the male spade connector, basically hooking everything up factory, bypassing the inertia switch. Which I did after installing junkyard relay. Well, the male spade connector is non insulated, and some of the non insulated part is exposed even after you connect the female part in. So, apparently, my wife, sitting in the passenger seat, must have bumped it against the housing of the ECM, which was laying on the floorboard after having checked it earlier. Which, as you can imagine, blew the fuse.

So, after reading Roadrunners post, I located the fuse ( a 30 amp Maxi fuse just above where the fuel pump relay mounts under the fuse block) and, sure enough, it was blown. I replaced it, hooked my spade connectors back together, and she runs like a champ (albeit, an old tired champ).

So, thanks to all for the help. Apparently I cut a hole in my rear floorboard and replaced my fuel pump because of a bad relay. Oh well, I got a working fuel gauge out of it. :D

Again, thanks to all for the help.

Been going through the same thing with my 94. Replace the fuel pump 2 weeks and it happened again yesterday. Put in a new relay last night and its working for now.

this may be off topic just a little but someone may know.can anyone confirm that our rev limiter is controlled by fuel cut off and not spark cut off?witch leads to the next question,it would have to be done by the ecm,would this be the same wire that goes to the relay,or is this a different system?the whole reason im asking is because i want to be able to adjust my rev limiter.im planning on hooking it to my tach, witch has adjustable shift light.

I'm having the same issue with my 95 explorer so are you saying it's ok to hard wire the fuel pump to a key on power connection then ? Because I've spent the last week trying to find the " short" in the fuel system wiring with no luck..

Necro thread bump lmao

Is anyone checking the inertia switch wiring?

I'm having the same issue with my 95 explorer so are you saying it's ok to hard wire the fuel pump to a key on power connection then ? Because I've spent the last week trying to find the " short" in the fuel system wiring with no luck..
Define short. Where do you have power and what's the voltage readings?

Back