How can I test fuel pump after removal | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How can I test fuel pump after removal

bigredscowboy

Reaction score
City, State
High Point, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Ranger Edge 4.0 4x4
1992 X 2-door 2wd:
Checked all three relays and fuses, which are good. When I turn the key on I get 2 seconds of power to the inertia switch and the red wire on the fuel pump. No whirling/charging. Is there anything it could be other than a bad fuel pump?

I only ask bc I picked one up at a junkyard to confirm that it was in fact the fuel pump before spending a bill on a new one, and it didn't work either (i even cleaned this one up). I got a warranty at junkyard so I can go get another one but I'd like to check it in the parking lot before leaving if possible. Can I just hook the black and red wires up to leads on the battery or do I also need to do something with the other two wires? What can I expect from a good pump?

well if you can get to the connector that the fuel pump is connected to and just plug in the replacement and turn the key it should wiz for the 2 seconds. I assume you know where that connector is. if it doesnt perhaps the harness got damaged somewhere along the line.

yeah, i was looking for a way to bench test at the yard. I found a new looking pump at the yard and hooked battery leads up to the red and black connectors at the pump and got a whirl. Came home and plugged it in and all was well.

Also realized that the other two wires are for the fuel gauge.

I know you figured it out but....
For future reference here is a pic showing the pump power connections 12v +&- for bench testing.

attachment.php

1st Gen verified

Back