can i let diesel soak in my auto hubs... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

can i let diesel soak in my auto hubs...

KobeJ05

Reaction score
City, State
Marina, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 explorer 157k miles
to get all the grease out? my auto hubs went out on my x so i bought 2 from the junk yard for 11 bucks and they have grease in them can i just soak it in diesel a couple times?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Most people recommend using ATF.

that i know but what im asking to clean all the grease out what can i use to let it soak to get all the thick grease out? i was thinking of soaking it with diesel or some degreaser or wd 40 and then i will use some atf. but thanks ya im gonna use some lucas or royal purple atf.

that i know but what im asking to clean all the grease out what can i use to let it soak to get all the thick grease out? i was thinking of soaking it with diesel or some degreaser or wd 40 and then i will use some atf. but thanks ya im gonna use some lucas or royal purple atf.

sounds like you got a plan of sorts. Problem is just letting them soak won't do much to get the diesel to mix with the grease.
If you let the hubs sit out in the Cal summer sun to preheat the grease and use walmarts cheaper (think it's about 2.25 a can) brakeclean, it will blast chunks of grease out. Then use your diesel or ATF. The thing about using brakeclean is that it doesn't dissolve the grease but it knocks it loose in chunks. personally i thought it was a rather slick deal, very effective.

FWIW - I have a 1/2 gal garden pump sprayer i use as a *parts washer*. You can pump up some pressure, spray gas or diesel and knock junk loose. I also put a valve stem on the top (plastic tank). AFTER TURNING THE COMPRESSOR AIR PRESSURE DOWN to 40psi or so, I use a clip on tire chuck.

As always - be safe - no smoking, use eye protection and all the other good safety rules.

hope this is useful

Whatever method you use, make sure to soak them in ATF and then let them drip out for awhile. The ATF is necessary to lubricate and prevent rusting, and the dripping out is because you don't want ATF in your wheel bearing grease.

If you remove the snap ring that holds the small bearing and inner part of the hub in, you can take those parts out, which makes it much easier to get the grease out. You need a small pair of snap ring pliers. Don't over-spread the snap ring because it will deform.

You can also remove the bearing from the inner part (another snap ring) and avoid soaking it in solvent. It is sealed so it is hard to replace the grease after removing it with solvent.

cools i'll try that thanks

Back