Can I replace ARC shocks for standard. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Can I replace ARC shocks for standard.

Aussie Paul

Reaction score
City, State
Brisbane
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 US Limited
Hi all - I have a 2000 model Ex US Limited with Auto Ride Control. The rear shock is leaking hydraulic fluid. I suspect the others are all original so may all start to go soon. One rear shock supplied by Ford in Aus is @1600.00. I am looking at replacing all 4 shocks with standard, and diabling the ARC. I know I have to beef up the rear leaf springs as they are softer than standard given the air bags in the ARC shocks do some of the work.

Has anyone done this and does anyone know of any problems I might face. Pedders in Aus have done this a few times and charge around 1500.00. I usualy get parts from american sites shiped over as they are much cheaper - which means doing it myself so any advice would be good.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

no one out there know much about replacing arc shock for standard. - How about just an opinion on the best shocks and rear springs for explorers who do a bit of towing. Most of my off road is beach work and I tow a camper that can get pretty heavy on the way in. Anu thoughts on heavy duty shocks and solid springs.?

no help

This forum is great but looks like I have found the one subject no one knows much about... I get a different answer from every online parts shop, and here in Aus I have been quoted everything from $900.00 to add Boges shocks and springs, to $1800.00 for Tuff Dog shocks and springs.

Trouble is that they all have a different view on what fits. Looks like I need to get under and measure to get a better idea myself.

Anyone got a view on the best shocks - and best online shop (as they are a bit pricey for ford parts in Aus.)

ARC 2000 model

Thanks, I had a look underneath and your right, there are no connections or air bags on the front. I wanted to disengage the ARC as I assumed I would have trouble on all four and it would end up costing me a fortune to fix everything. Now that I know the ARC is only connected to the back I dont mind spending a bit more on just the two rear shocks to keep the system working.

Ford in Aus want $1600.00 per rear shock, however I will see if I can get the Munro shocks to fit - I read the thread you attached and will see how I go tracing these.

Thanks for your help.
:)

Try rockauto.com .....that where i bought mine.

In my 98 my air shocks were leaking when i bought the truck, dealer tried arguing with me that it was normal for the air compressor to run ALL the time. ******. He replaced them with normal shocks, same leafs springs and everything. Truck is a little bit lower, but rides fine. Think it handles better too lol. Only tow a 14' aluminum fishing boat, and that works out fine.

Hi Sean99

Seem to have run into trouble. RockAuto told me they spoke with Munro who say they dont make a shock to fit the 2000 model and operate with the ARC. Do you have the model number of your shocks. Are they designed to operate with the ARC or are they just air shocks that fit the air hoses and operate from the arc compressor.

I have the Monroe 40006 and 40007 shocks...These came up as the correct replacement for my 99 when i bought them through www.rockauto.com a couple of years ago. I am not sure why they have changed what years they fit, but i know they work as original replacements... they have been used on 2000 arc explorers too...i thought the 1999-2001 had the same suspension set up for the arc, but some sites show them fitting only up to 99???????

Yeah I noticed that some sites list the part to 99 - they appear to look the same so dont know why this is. I sent a message to the company on the ebay link you gave me as they had listed them for explorers to 99 - just waiting on a reply. Do yours have the two smaller bolts on the top and one cross bolt on the bottom of the shock (which I assume they do as the manual only shows the one setup for 95 to 2001.) Do you also only have the one air hose comming from the side of the shock?

yes, the bolts are the same, and i have just the single air line that goes into the shock.

thanks - I think I will do a last check to ensure there are no extra connections on the shocks, electrical sensors etc, that would make them different to the 99 models and if not give them a go. I cant think of any reason why they would not do the same job. As long as the sensor still activates the air pump they should be good.

Did you order the shocks?

Takes me a while but I finaly ordered them today. Car handles like a whale now. I only did one road trip and it did not look good. So planning another trip with the camper in tow so need to bite the bullet and get my hands dirty. I'll let you know how they go.

Offshore cyclones dont worry me to0o much, always some nut trying to drive through deep water but appart from that just a bit wet and windy and lets me do a bit of 4WD ont he way to work where the creeks overflow.

These weird dust storms we are having now are worse. Like living in the desert. Everything is covered in red dust.

I took a trip from Perth to the Kimberley's at about that time. We tried to take the coastal highway and were doing okay fording the rivers over the road (Hilux with snorkel) but one was about 100 meters wide and over the bonnet 20 meters in. So we went Tom Price way. A friend of my brothers had a house under construction just North of Brisbane and was pretty worried about it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I finaly dusted of the new shocks and installed them. Went on easily, few bolts a bit hard to get to as I replaced the spare wheel with the GAS tank and did not want to take that off. (Round gas tank same size as the wheel so fits up into the wheel space.)

Work great, they only jack up with the air level sensor and dont have the built in electronics that used to raise and lower them based on the four wheel drive sensor. But as the set with delivery cost me $300.00 as apposed to fors genuine replacement cost of $2500.00 per shock, I will stick with these.

Back