Can I swap a 98 4.0l sohc for a 2001 4.0l sohc? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Can I swap a 98 4.0l sohc for a 2001 4.0l sohc?

mbvwcycle

Reaction score
City, State
Burnsville, Minnesota
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Limited
My 1998 Explorer Limited has 129,000 miles on it and the timing chains are rattling to the point of being embarrassing. I found a 01 4.0l sohc engine for $500 and only 57,000 miles on it. Can I make this engine swap work without too much of a hassle? If anyone has done this same swap I would love to hear about it.;)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Help Engine Swap! 98 4.0l v6 sohc to 01 4.0l v6 sohc

I'm looking to swap my 98 Explorer's 4.0l sohc engine with a 01 4.0l sohc because the timing chains are getting ready to fall off the 98. I found a 01 engine with only 57,000 miles for $500. Does anybody have any experience with this swap? I would love any advice before I make the purchase of the 01 engine. I am looking to make this as easy a possible.

I'm sure you can MAKE it happen. I've put a DOHC engine in a focus that came with a pushrod engine, and an 02 3.0l ohv in an 00 flex fuel Taurus. You may be looking at a lot of work though. Consider which harness, accesories, and computer you need to run (your original or all from the donor vehicle). And remember that if you change the computer, you may have to include the ignition and key if they are chipped.
I'm sure it's POSSIBLE, just gotta have all the parts to make it run.

The 98 and 01 are identical models, so I can't see why it would not work.

The 98 and 01 are identical models, so I can't see why it would not work.

AGREED

Between '98 and '01, most the changes between the 2nd gen 4 doors were cosmetic in nature and pretty minor. The engine "should" swap without a hitch.

AGREED

Between '98 and '01, most the changes between the 2nd gen 4 doors were cosmetic in nature and pretty minor. The engine "should" swap without a hitch.
In fact the 09's use the same engine. Some components are configured differently, but the block I think is the same.

havent been on here in a while but i wouldnt recommend the 01 swap i would try for 02 and up my reason being is some of those 01 motors still were using the old timing chain guides and tensioner 02 has all the upgraded parts i personally did this swap with an 02 motor with 12k on it i had to change intake a few sensors and oil pan but well worth it but thats my opinion either way the swap is easy also a buddy of mine did a m,ustang 4.0 swap also i know theres alot of debate on the mustang swap due to no balance shaft my buddies truck is fine with no vibration theres alot of ways to go

98 for 01 Swap A Success!

:) I fInished the swap this weekend. Engine started on the first turn. Had to use the ond valve covers, exhaust manifolds, fuel lines, oil pan, fuel injectors. Basicallly everything but the heads and block off the old engine onto the 01 flex fuel. The truck is back to new. By the way, when I swapped oil pans I could see little pieces of timing chain tensioners in the bottom of the pan.

Any other advantages?

havent been on here in a while but i wouldnt recommend the 01 swap i would try for 02 and up my reason being is some of those 01 motors still were using the old timing chain guides and tensioner 02 has all the upgraded parts i personally did this swap with an 02 motor with 12k on it i had to change intake a few sensors and oil pan but well worth it but thats my opinion either way the swap is easy also a buddy of mine did a m,ustang 4.0 swap also i know theres alot of debate on the mustang swap due to no balance shaft my buddies truck is fine with no vibration theres alot of ways to go

Other than the timing chain "fix" is there any other benefit in using an '02+ Explorer motor and/or components on a '99 SOHC? Higher power ratings,etc...

Same for the new Mustang 4.0L SOHC, is there any gains to be had by swapping whole motors?, just the intake?,just the heads?,etc.....

Back